I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Getting Started
Posted by: Ed Berger (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2002 07:32AM

This is something I have always wanted to get into, but didn't have the time.... I still don't, but want to get the learning process going. Can you point me to a real remedial place to get some "Rod building for dummies" info please? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting Started
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 27, 2002 08:29AM

The book, "Rod Building Guide" by Tom Kirkman will get you started and for the long haul. Ask any of the sponsors listed to the left. Most have it. It was written just for those wishing to get started but with enough information that it will answer questions you have over the next few years.

Look for any local fishing shops that might be teaching a class on rod building or buy one of Artie Herbert's videos on rod building. Cabelas has them and maybe one of the sponsors here does too.

That should get you started and this board is always here if you have further questions.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 27, 2002 09:32AM

Ed to expand on what William said this is one of the most common questions posted now this board and others are one of the finest resources available for information, in addition it is accessed by thousands of builders but in almost every case the person who posted leaves out what could be a very valuable asset simply put { I live in the blank area of Texas} for example it is quite possible that someone who resides in that area will read the post and contact you offering help.There are also numerous rod building clubs offering classes that may be able to offer additional help if they were aware of your geographical area.
John

Posted by: Wesley Chappell (161.33.3.---)
Date: February 27, 2002 10:10AM

I just started a week and a half ago. I bought Tom's book and a video. I went to a local rod builder and asked for advise and he give me almost a full days worth of training for free. I found him to be very helpful. I was able to put all the information I had learned to work. I now have all my rod buliding equipment on the way. I feel very confident that I will be able to bulid my own rod with a minimum amout of problem. Any that do come up I will post here.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 27, 2002 10:31AM

Almost anyone armed with good background information and some amount of patience can build a nice rod on their first attempt. But be advised that your first rod will not be perfect (nor any others for that matter). But it will be funtional and likely better than any commercially made rod you now own.

But you hand in there and with each one you see an improvement - the various tasks associated with building a rod become easier and go more quickly. Your skills and knowledge continue to improve with each rod built. No beginner should be too hard on him or herself for any mistakes made. We've all been there.

Posted by: Wayne Huffman (---.cusa.canon.com)
Date: February 28, 2002 01:55PM

I am just getting started myself and like you Ed, purchased Tom's book. I haven't actually built my first rod, but ventured into adding hook keepers on my less expensive "store bought" rods. I can honestly say I have already made mistakes, learned from them and am getting better. I am learning many things from this site and greatly appreciate the welcome feeling I get with each visit. Thanks to all of you for your experience and willingness to share!

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 28, 2002 04:21PM

Wayne brings up a good point. The adding of a hookeeper or repairing the rods you own can be invaluable to getting started with the fundamentals of wrapping and go from there. I would venture that many got into rodbuilding this way, but there is nothing wrong with getting at it with some practice blanks and develop your skills from the start. The "Rod Building Guide...." book that is brought up is an excellent primer and reference source for information. Some good videos also can be recommended from the sponsors listed. We can provide also these resources, as a sponsor, to anyone interested.
Most of the posts above are correct in that the suppliers would be quite willing to help you along with advice and materials to get you going.

Be warned that it can be habit forming, to move on to the next rod, or begin to develop that next skill in thread art or other rod or component types of applications. Rod building is a very personally rewarding past time in that you can see the fine posts relating to the interest of others.
There are as many ways to get into this, as there are personalities. Some are good at learning by practicing, and others are more visual learners with someone standing at their side as in a rodbuilding class. The main thing is that if it's in your interest to get into rod building, you'll find it's as honorable a craft as anything out there.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel Service

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster