I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat ?'s
Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:00AM

First for all the LS Supreme supporters out there, I have tried it recently and was very impressed. With that said I use Flex Coat high build for all my rod repairs. Here lately I've found it to stay tacky about 10hrs. after aplication. I never mix less than 1cc of each part and the temp. is controlled around 69-70 degrees. I mix it in the hard plastic cups many of the suppliers sell and have found a 16penny nail works well to mix with. After mixing I apply with a Tester's brush. The question is has anyone dared to add a little more hardener when having a problem like this? Almost forgot the bottles are fairly new and haven't been subjected to freezing temps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat ?'s
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ym.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:10AM

First off I would say that you should always mix in 3cc sizes less chance for a mistake. Secondly you will find that if you add more hardener that the epoxy will not get better but will get worse. If anything you should add less hardener if you decide not to follow the directions on the bottles.

I am sure that if you mix it correctly in the 3cc size you will get the results that you are after.

Rolly

Agree
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.177.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:36AM

Sammy, what are the ambient conditions where the rods are finished?

I never mix less than 3 cc's, it just isn't worth the chance. Most of the time I mix 4. If you can batch your rod repairs, your finish cost will reduce. Finish can be used for many other repairs, not just wraps.

Don't mix unequal parts.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:38AM

Sammy, Rolly is correct - deviating from the manufacturer's recommend ratio is unwise. A 1 to 1 mix will give you a hard cure.

Mixing at least 3cc's of each part will also help. Mixing less can turn out to be false economy in the long run.

On another note - don't mention the rod you saw in the shop on Friday! To my knowledge nothing else like it has ever been done in this Country and the cover photo and details inside will be a surprise to about 99.9% of all rod builders out there. Keep it under you hat. Thanks.

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: February 24, 2002 12:51PM

You got the curiousity running rampent again. Now cut that out.

Posted by: Tim Shaffer (---.dejazzd.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 02:54PM

I use flexcoat all the time and almost never have any problems. I use a 1/4 tsp. stainless measuring spoon. Fill the spoon level with the rim and put 1/4 tsp. of each part on a doubled over piece of aluminum foil. When mixing use a stainless spatula and sort of fold it over trying not to make alot of bubbles do not stir. When done mixing about 2-3 minutes spread it out thin over the foil and let sit a minute or 2 for the bubbles to release. Then I take an alcohol tourch and go over the finish to burst the remaining bubbles. I use flexcoat disposable nylon brushes they seem to make less bubbles when applying the finish. This amount of finish will do a whole fresh water rod or 4-5 rod repairs.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 05:32PM

Thanks for your advice guys. But now you've raised another. If I understand carrectly it's being recommended to mix in 3cc batches. Her's the question, if the directions say use a 1 to 1 ratio why does it mater if I use 1,2 or 2 1/2 cc's as long as it is measured as acurately as possible? As for the conditions, temp. was around 68-71, probably 10-15 percent humidity if I were to sling the room. The part in question was turned on a 4rpm motor for at least 3hrs. Also I have a bare spot that I would like to touch up would that pose a problem?

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.46.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 05:51PM

Sammy, I can only answer your question the way my mom used to answer me, "because I said so". LOL

Seriously, I can only indicate what I think the answer is. The less you use the more opportunities there are not to get a complete mixture. IE, one of the parts adheres to the sides of the mixing cup and doesn't get mixed in, some is left on the spatula or absorbing into a wooden stick. Like I say, don't know for sure except that I have fought the small mixture battles before and I finally gave in.

Posted by: David A Tomasch (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 08:22PM

Mike, I would suggest to buy flex coat's syringes and use this as your measuring device. They are cheap and foolproof. Like what has been stated on this site before the stuff is so cheap why scrimp on the finish. In the long run it might cost you more time and money. Just my two cents. David A Tomasch

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 09:11PM

As it has been explained before --- if you are off a little bit on a 2 cc total mix then you may be off something like 20%. But if you are off a little bit on a 6 cc total mix you are only off 5% or something like that. It gives you a greater margin of error on your mix. These figures are only an example as I have no way of knowing how much the term 'little' represents.

I agree that syringes are the way to go. No muss and no fuss. I don't think I've had a bad cure in over 5 years now.

Posted by: Jim Levy (66.152.208.---)
Date: February 25, 2002 12:34PM

My 2 cents.

I generally mix 1 teaspoon, measured as described above, in a glass jar. I use a stainless spatula to mix and a disposable brush to apply (I don't risk introduction of cleaning solvents into my finish).

What I feel is key for me is that several years ago I adopted a regimen of cleaning measuring spoon, jar and spatula with alcohol before measuring or mixing anything. I believe I can count on 1 finger the number of times I've had finish failure over countless batches applied the last few years. That's a good enough ratio for me to swear by cleaning all of my tools to assure that I don't introduce any contamination into a batch and having problems.

By the way, I have not got very good temperature regulation in the summer (no AC!!). I do mix and apply in hot and humid weather with no adverse effects.

Take it for what it's worth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster