I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spiral wrap
Posted by: chuck lagrange (---.cp-tel.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 09:57PM

what is the reason for the spiral wrap?
does it work?
how do you set it up? seen a picture, but could not quite make it out.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spiral wrap
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 10:10PM

It offers perfect rod stability under pressure from a fish. Rods with the guides on top will all try to twist and torque under pressure from a fish. So you put the guides on the bottom and the rod stays put!

There are many ways to make the transition from the top to the bottom. If you do a search on this site's archives you can uncover a zillion ways to do it. Give it a try and then come back with any specific questions you might have.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 09:24AM

Perfect stability with no decrease in casting distance is the reason for the spiral wrap. To date, no one has been able to prove any negatives to the system other than the fact that it does not look like most rods you've ever seen.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:01AM

The only negative I've heard is on a rod I built where the user cranked his reel with his right hand & I had brought the guides around to the left side of the blank. With a rod handle on one side & guides on the other, the rod tended to roll around on his boat deck when he set it down. I offered to reverse the spiral but he didn't want to change. I now make sure that the spiral wraps around the same side of the blank as the user's reel handle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster