I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Who are your 'Customers'?
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 22, 2002 05:40PM

Seems to be lots of rodbuilders mentioning here about the purpose for rodbuilding as stictly for their 'customers'.
I'll put out a simple question as to who really are your customers?

This is in the sense of a couple of views.

1. Is dedicated to custom rodbuilders that do not build for any purpose of selling to a customer base. These are hobby builders, or this strictly in the love of the craft for custom rodbuilding.

2. If you are building rods with the main intent of seeking and selling to customers, what is the strategy used in attaining this goal?

In view of the fact that much has been discussed about 'judging' quality and notions such as 'the customer is always right', or 'the customer is the ultimate judge' of your work, etc. it would be interesting to note what it really is that drives custom rod builders to achieve a sense of accomplishment.

Is this driven by the idea of profit? Not that this is not a worthy goal for some. or is it more the idea of achieving betterment in the work for the next rod?

Now, I know some will say they do this part time and so on, just get enough cash from selling a rod to continue feeding the habit and such. What is more of interest is getting ideas about what you guys in the business do to get at, or better yet, how you develop the market for custom rods.

Hate leaving out the guys not in the businsess (It's not for everyone, lord don't we know), so what is your purpose in keeping the habit, or perhaps wanting to get into it in the first place? Do you have expectations of getting better at your craft, and how do you think this can be best achieved??? Perhaps there is less bias from this group (those not selling custom rods per se)

Perhaps a customer can be someone not 'buying'. It could even be yourself as your own critic about your custom rods. There seems to be more purpose out there for custom rodbuilding than just the $$$. It would be nice to know more honest views on this.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who are your 'Customers'?
Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 06:45PM

I started out saving some money on fly rods. Couldn't see spening $300+ on a rod, but could see myself buying a second + great components, read a book, and:CUstom Rod at a great price. Then something bit me, and all of a sudden I went crazy - building rods with decorative handles and fancy wraps. I found the internet and began meeting some great Rodbuilders on Long Island, went to a seminar and met a bunch of people sharing secrets and tips and my knowledge continues to grow.

I am at teh point where I am about to build rods for friends, and have been asked quite a few times about building people a rod. I have a good idea of what I want out of Rodbuilding. I'd like to continue to expand my knowledge and share it with those interested. i'd also like to make some money selling rods which allow me to show my decorative skills. Ideally, I'd like to be able to pick and choose my customers - all decorative wraps and spiral rods - why should I spend my time "working" on a rod that I am not having fun build. I build on my free time, so why should I do something i do not enjoy? Money? Maybe, but I hope that does not cloud my vision and I do not need to sell "regular" rods.

Re: Who are your 'Customers'?/side remark...please continue
Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 09:11PM

Hi,

My customers are people willing to pay my price for my custom rods.

They are friends and strangers.

When the boat I ran had fishermen not willing to pay enough I changed port and boat. The boat I run now carries fishermen who value my product and are willing to pay considerable $$$$$ to purchase a custom rod made by me.

The more time I spend on the boat increases the # of sales. I guess it is the reverse of "out of sight, out of mind".

It has taken time to find customers away from the boat. Having booths at shows, giving party/charter boat captains a rod of their choice, having a web site, participating on fishing internet sites and speaking engagements has gotten my name, face and rods in front of J Q Public.

I have found it takes a year of 2 before some people pull the trigger and make an order.

Why do I operate a legal business and put up with the hassel of paper work for the State and Fed govts??? To make money!!!!! To hear a customer tell how much fun was had using the fishing tool!!! To have the customer bring a friend to have a rod made.

And I meet the nicest people and enjoy fishing with them.

Capt Neil

PS. Many days I would rather go fishing than work. HA!!!!

Someday??

Capt Neil

Posted by: Capt. Bill Hobbs (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 12:07PM

Most of my custom rod orders are from my fishing clients. I can fit them best because I fish with them every year . I really have no desire to sell to anybody else. Plus it's nice to see my rod come back on a fishing trip. Your right Capt. Neil, our type of work does let you meet the nicest people. Isn't it great to get paid to go fishing!

Posted by: Eric Ege (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:50PM

Do any of us build rods as our sole income? There may be a few, but I seriously doubt anybody on here makes a living on building rods only. Most serious rod builders interested in making a living are tied to a fly shop or some other endeavor that could lead to custom rods.
There's just no way a person could possibly build enough, even if you charged a high price, to make a living at building rods alone.

I personally build for a lot of friends, folks I work with at my day job and at one time I even solicited local fishing clubs to let me speak and show my work at their meetings. I also was displaying a few demo rods in a local tackle shop at one time. Both of the these marketing techniques led to a new line of clientele, which in turn led to more as word of mouth spread, until I was getting more work than I cared for. That's when it got to be work. I was forcing myself to work on the rods when I really didn't feel like it and I don't do my best when I force myself to do anything.

I slacked off the marketing and now build a reasonable number of rods each year. I can pretty much work when I want except during the Christmas season things get a little hectic.

It's a great past time, but I'm keeping my day job.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 10:35AM

Hi'

I know 1 person who has a shop selling only custom rods.

Consider these. High rent, high real estate taxes if you own the building, high electric rates, heating and air conditioning, insurance and what ever else.

A shop has to be open 50-60 hours a week, maybe more. As a 1 worker shop every time the phone rings or a customer comes in you have to stop what you are doing, usually you just mixed epoxy. I hate interruptions!!!!

In my area customers are accustomed to sales, discounts and wholesale. Too many expect that from a small specialty shop.

Do you realize how many rods you have to make a month just to cover expenses?

Why would anyone want a store under these conditions? This is why custom rods are usually part of a tackle shop. Their money is made selling the everyday items off the shelf. Custom rods can be a very nice side line for them.

Capt Neil

It's not who are your customers, but......
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.177.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:00AM

....where are your customers, what are the fishing conditions and patterns, etc. Are they tackle-off-the-rack lake fishermen, once a year vacation to the beach fishermen, etc. The biggest problem is getting the word out to them, especially if you are part time and working from your home. Most home businesses face zoning issues so you can't have a parking lot in your front yard.

Big agreement with the Capt. on this one. Before you consider striking out on your own, be sure and do the math first! 75% of small business fail (I think that I have the numbers correct from the latest SBA info) within the first 2 years because they go in under-capitalized and without a well thought out business plan.

There have been no less than 5 tackle shops go under in this area in less than 10 years. I did all the repairs for them and got some word of mouth custom work. Essentially within a 10 year span, I lost 80% of my pickup locations. There is only one viable, full service shop with bait sales shop left within a 10 mile radius. The fishing business is dependent on too many variables; weather, the economy, etc. Be careful before you make the leap.

Re: pick up locations/ referrals
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:24AM

Good point about the 'pick up' location for rod repairs, and it doesn't necessarily have to be a tackle shop. In my area, I've associated with a good friend who owns a motel, and it can be a convenient drop off point. From there the customer 'picks up' at our store location. This give benefit of 2 points of contact.

As for capitalizing and starting it as a business. Good advice from Mike and the Capt. You need the parking lot, you need to meet the zoning requiremnents, you need to maintain your building, or pay a lease, you need the revenues to continue operations. Working part time from your home, if you would be allowed by the zoning authorities, may work out pretty good with a lot of pavement pounding or advertising. You still need the notice to anglers that you provide this service.

As a 'sideline' to a capitalized venture, this may depend. But it could be that some started with full time rod repair and are 'capitalized' for this alone. The custom rod building may grow as a part of this, but also good advice for keeping stock of what you'll need for day to day operations. The success may be related to degree of initial capatalization, but I do agree it requires a plan along with it. Like they say, it's not for everyone.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Your salary
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.177.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 11:44AM

Before you jump in, determine if what you are making in your current job per hour. Now, multiply that by 1.5 and that is what you will need to make PER HOUR in business for yourself. You will have no subsidized insurance, no sick leave, no paid vacation. You will be totally on your own.

Taxes will eat you alive in business. Don't think that there are any breaks given to small business people. Pick up a copy of all of the tax forms for 'S' Corp businesses and you will see what I mean. You should even think of anything less than 'S' Corp status. You have to remove the business liability from your personal liability.

Re: Custom Building
Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: February 25, 2002 02:17PM

I'm probably like alot of folks. I started with one because I like a challenge and more importantly - it was winter in Michigan with not much to do other than my real job. Well we all know how we catch the bug. I've invested lots of money and even more time "learning the craft". I sell a few but mostly to friends and friends of friends - not to make money at it but to be able to build enough to keep me busy over the winter months. When the ice melts the shop closes - except for any needed repairs. Don't get me wrong I love rodbuilding - but I like fishing much more. What rods I sell helps me rebuild my whole arsenal for the next year with little new money. It's enough for me. Mikes comments about salaries hit the nail on the head. I got alot of respect for guys like Richard, William, John and the other full time builders. It's their business and life and if they love doing it all the better. But to me it'll always be just a hobby. I try to make the absolute BEST tool I can. I just could'nt make a living at it. I'd have to take too big of a pay cut! LOL

Re: Custom Building
Posted by: Randy Gerrick (199.35.91.---)
Date: February 26, 2002 07:30PM

I have read a bunch of posts here with great information. As custom rod builders I feel our standards are higher and our critisism greater. Show a fisherman a rod you built and they will be in awe of it. Even if it is one with mistakes. The average fisherman or even tackle shop owner will not notice these little things that we notice. For example I built a spiral wrapped float rod (my first one) I showed it to other fishermen, tackle shop owners (one had his own TV show) and all of these people had nothing bad to say. They even asked me how much one would cost if they were to buy one. My point is we hold such high standards that we will not except anything but near perfection (isn't that the reason we got into it in the first place?). We offer a better tool for the angler both on looks and functionality.

I got into build ing rods because I wanted a better fishing rod. There aren't that many finished rods for the kind of fishing I like to do. So a custom rod is sometimes the only option. As I would fish people who saw my rod would ask if I sell them. Generally I'd say it's just a hobby and the conversation would stop there. But after talking to and receiving so many compliments I decided to try doing it and getting paid for it. I must say that it is harder work than I thought. The clients are few and far between and doing all the work to find vendors and marerials is just as hard as building the rods themselves. I'm thinking of using a couple of friends as advertising tools. Build them a rod and have them pass out cards. These people are the best fishermen I know and I'm sure if people saw them hook fish after fish questions would soon be asked by other fishermen (I call it the Bill Dance method) about what they are using. well these are just a few of my thoughts.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster