I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Warranty Issue
Posted by: Gerry Mc Laughlin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 05:00PM

I would like to know what would be considered a reasonable time frame for a custom built rod to be repaired or replaced under warranty. RPLXI 5 piece, one section snapped at joint. Thanks in advance for any responses

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Warranty Issue
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 08:44PM

That depends on many things. How busy the custom builder is at the time and how long it might take him to get a replacement from the factory.

These are the type things that should be discussed at the time the original sale between the builder and customer is made. Some sort of warranty explanation and an expected time frame for such repairs should they ever be needed.

Date: February 22, 2002 09:32PM

I thought these matters were resolved when I was told the rod carried the same warranty as Sage. As for the timeframe, two and a half months has passed and I found out today the factory knows nothing about the defective rod. I thought by buying a custom built rod I would get a more personal service and better quality product than something mass produced, cost didn't come in to it. In hindsight I would be reluctant to purchase another custom rod, given the fact that the seller claims to be guild certified, whether he is or not I don't know. Surely if this builder is certified, the guild has some responsibility to buyers who use it as a yardstick to judge a builders competence to ensure there is a maximum turn-a-round period for a warrantied product.
Just my thoughts!!!!!!!

Date: February 22, 2002 10:01PM

As I understand it, the Guild certification only assures the buyer that the builder is capable of meeting minimum technical standards. They used to have a statement that the builders are independant business people and their transactions are between them and their customers. The Guild doesn't get involved in that. That statement may still be on their site somewhere.

Custom builders are as varied as any other group of business people. They are some very good ones and I'm sure there are some bad ones. You may have gotten ahold of a bad one or there may be more to the story that we don't know. The Guild has a website with a message board where you could gather more opinions from their actual members if you wanted. I have looked at the Sage warranty and they do not specify any particular time frame that rods will be repaired or replaced in.

As far as custom builders go I'd say if you want the best rod possible then go see a top notch custom builder. If you want the best warranty, go see a factory rod.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 22, 2002 10:07PM

Dear Gerry,
In respect to your valid complaint, I honestly believe you take this up personally with the rod builder who you bought the rod from.
Part of the failing of some custom rod builders is that the customer is believing the product to be generic as the way all rodbuilder would handle a complaint such as yours. If you were told the blank is warrantied, it is the company replacing this and not the rodbuilder. As for time frame with the brand you mentioned, I can't say but your rodbuilder in dealing with that brand should know for you.
Also realize this message board site is not affiliated with the organization you mention, although some rodbuilders may be members. I think by getting back to the rodbuilder who you have the complaint with is more the way that will resolve your situation. Perhaps if that is not to your satisfaction, the next step may be to contact the rod blank company to inquire how long it would take for replacement.

One consideration about a custom crafted rod is that they are built by an individual and to a limited schedule, not a production rod. It could be that you may have been more satisfied with a factory version about warranty replacement for a like rod of which was purchased.
Question also, I wonder if you really liked the custom rod, and was it somehow special? I would really get back to the rodbuilder and voice your expectations.

Rich

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.88.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:41AM

Gerry, one of the problems that I see rod builders create for themselves is not giving the customer a written warranty stating exactly what the customer can expect, and having the customer sign the warranty. This may be due to a lack of business experience or they may assume that nothing is going to happen to the rod causing a warranty issue.

As for time, not many builders that I know can guarantee a turnaround time. Most of the time is consumed in dealing with the factory on the broken blank.

As for what should you expect in a warranty:
Repair or replacement of damage caused by poor workmanship is about all you can reasonably expect from a builder who is purchasing manufactured materials to construct the rod. Some builders stick their necks out and warrant the whole rod, materials and all. Bless their hearts, I hope that they never get a bad batch of blanks that start failing on them. Some builders add overhead to the cost to establish a warranty 'fund'. Even if you add $10 to a rod for that fund, it may take selling 10 rods to fund the amount for one replacement. Let's say that you get a bad batch of blanks (this is possible, but not probable to date) that start failing due to what ever reason. For every one you have to replace, you have to build 10. Your time to replace 10 more rods takes away from from the time you would have spent building 10 rods that you make a profit on. It could become a never ending circle. A $150 factory rod may only cost the factory $20 to build. They sell to the distributer and for $100 and they make an $80 profit. The factory would only have to build one rod to replace 4.

The following is my warranty statement:

BOLT CUSTOM RODS have an original-purchaser 10-year warranty against any defects in workmanship. Bolt’s Tackle Service is not responsible for defects in materials. We pass on the manufacturer’s material warranty, if available.
If, by chance, any defect in workmanship appears, we will at our option, repair or replace rod.
If, by chance, any defect in materials appears, we will contact the manufacturer concerning replacement cost, if any, and provide the customer with a repair estimate. NOTE: blank manufacturers may not warrant a blank that has been altered in any way including cutting to length, or cutting to make a two-piece rod.
The BOLT CUSTOM ROD WARRANTY does not cover failure due to damage caused by workmanship of others, misuse, or negligence.

Customer price and warranty acceptance:
Name:_______________________________________ date:_____________

Loosely stated, I will give the customer the best rod that I can build, but I will not warrant materials made by someone else.

I know this probably doesn't make your life any easier but it should help to explain the warranty issues builders have.

As for the guild
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.88.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 10:56AM

The 'current' guild certification project is essentially a joke. It simply indicates that the builder sent a kit in and it was accepted. It tests the very basic principles of rod building. This is an ongoing 'issue' that 'some' of us have with the certification program. If and when the certification program really takes an in-depth look at the whole rod as opposed to a piece of a rod, the certification will mean something. There is a thread below this one that deals with this subject.

On the other hand, the guild is only a certifying body with no legal or business ties with the member. They should not get involved with builder/customer issues.

What YOU need to do as a customer is look at the quality of the products that the builder puts out. He should have rods on hand that you can pick up, feel, inspect, cast, etc. Ask all the questions that you feel you need to. Check references, other people that have purchased the builder's rods. Get the warranty in writing up front.

Re: As for the guild
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 11:41AM

I am affraid warranty issue will always be a touchy subject. A written warranty such as Mike advocates can go a considerable way to preventing problems, but there are always two sides to every story and both parties may feel that they are correct. Unfortunatley most buyers do not consider what the warrany entails, it has been found that most rod failures are the result of the owners misuse or abuse of the rod, now before you become upset I should say that quite often the individual is completley unaware that they did something or perhaps without realizing it tap a rod against something or any number of other ways a blank could be damaged perhaps a week or month later the rod fails and it is now felt to be defective and should be returned.I think any issue you have re the warranty should be taken up with the builder,worst case you could return the rod to the factory and get a new blank if the factory feels there was a defect, all any builder can do is work with the components selected and shouldn't be held at fault for a broken blank,were your problems loose reel seats or guides, shody craftsmanship etc that would be on the builder. I think you will find that most builders will try to work with you to obtain a satisfactory conclusion,wishing you the best of luck
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 11:49AM

As far as Guild Certification goes, the original intent was only to determine that a builder was at least capable of meeting minimum technical expertise in basic rod assembly techniques. It was never meant to do any more than that. From that standpoint, it does exactly what the program was designed to do and does it well.

If builder has the title of "Guild Certified Builder" that means that he does have the knowledge and ability to build a rod that meets the minimum technical requirements for what would be considered a soundly constructed fishing rod. It has nothing to do with whether or not he actually will deliver such a product, or his warranty or other business policies. He is an independant business person.

The idea of more advanced certification was nixed early on as something the Guild did not wish to be involved in. The idea for such a program has come around again and the Guild is looking into it, but not promising that they will pursue such a thing.

Mike's warranty statement is something every custom rod builder would do well to emulate. Saves headaches and misunderstandings in the long run.

Date: February 23, 2002 01:26PM

I know the Guild functions as a guide to buyers to reasure them that the rod builder is competant at his trade and has been certified in his ability to produce a quality item. The fact that some find the test not severe enough is another matter. I am not a rod builder, I've never built a rod and probably never will, I am a buyer.
What the above postings fail to mention, is the Guild strives for itegrity from the builder both in workmanship and dealings with costomers.
The point I'm trying to make is, If a builder fails on the latter, is there a process in place to revoke the certificate, if so, then that reasures the buyer, if not, then as a customer the Guild is not fulfilling it's own manate. Thankyou

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 02:28PM

Gerry the place to ask that question is on the guild page,what you seek should come from a board member.
John

Date: February 23, 2002 04:01PM

Gerry,

John is correct, there is not much any of us at rodbuilding.org can do to help you. You should bring this up to a Guild officer or board member and allow them to address your concerns. Perhaps they can help you.

However, the Guild has always stated from the outset that its members are independent businessmen and the Guild does not and will not get involved in any of their business transactions. They have no mandate to oversee the business practices of any of their members.

Again, contact someone at the Guild and see what they can tell you.

And as for you
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 09:31PM

Tom, It occurs to me that in the past few years since you've been doing all these things for the rod builders you really haven't had a bad idea yet. Everything seems to have worked out just like you said it would and pretty well at that. Not to take away from the Guild or any other group but have you thought about starting an organization yourself? It looks like the only thing you haven't done so far and considering everything else the odds are that it would be huge success. Just a thought.

Re: And as for you
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.255.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 09:35PM

I've been trying to talk the hard headed youngun into that for a couple of years. I'd rather have that kid's luck than skill any day. He could walk into a cow pile and come out smelling like Chenele Number 5.

Date: February 25, 2002 08:30AM

Maybe so, but I can only do so much. My plate is full and I'm not really an organization kind of guy. Somebody else will have to pursue the organization thing. I have neither the time nor inclination. Thanks but no thanks.

As far luck versus skill, there is a big difference. I've never won anything. Not very lucky I guess. But those things that I think through, plan out and work hard at usually turn out pretty well. Not much luck involved. Just some good ideas that offer a good value to the consumer.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.midtn.chartertn.net)
Date: February 25, 2002 10:22PM

Wholeheartedly agree with written warranty. I specify for "original owner" & register each rod in logbook. I once got a rod back that looked like a horse stepped on it from a guy I'd never heard of. Turned out he bought from another guy who'd ordered 2 identical -one for himself & one for girlfriend - girlfriend splits so he sells to horsefoot. I sent back to mfg. & got new blank & repaired. The guy had bought at bargain basement price & acted like I owed him a free repair job 'cause the guy he bought from told him blank had "Lifetime" warranty. Not even a thank you. Live & learn, won't happen again.

Date: February 25, 2002 10:45PM

Man that's pretty rude! I guess having something in there about it being good for the original purchaser is the best way to go. Anybody who bought it for a song isn't going to treat it very well to begin with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster