I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubberized Cork rings for end caps
Posted by: Steve Swadinsky (---.norwest.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 04:32PM

I would like to start using "Rubberized" cork rings for butt caps. I know that on various handle "kits" (specifically St Croix kits) they include a rubberized cork "plug to fill the hole after reaming and shaping on the lathe. The rings I have, do not have a hole bored in them.

My problem......how do I either:

1.) cut a plug myself

2.) find someone that sells "rubberized cork plugs"

3.) figure out a way to shape and epoxy the ring to the end of the handle, after the handle is on the rod without drilling a hole in the ring
So far the only thing I have done is to remove enough matarial from the end of the ring to epoxy a coin that sits slightly below the surface. That seems fine so far, but I am afraid that the coins will eventually come loose.

I'd rather just plug the hole.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve Swadinsky

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubberized Cork rings for end caps
Posted by: Karen Hapka (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 06:03PM

Steve,
I carry the cork plugs you are looking for, if you are interested send me an e-mail and I will give you the details.
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises

Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: February 22, 2002 08:04PM

Steve,

Often the rubberized cork 'plugs' are tapered to fit into a tapered hole. They need not be, and you can buy 'plug cutters' at many hardware stores or tool suppliers to make your own plugs.

I don't use these plugs at all and use only solid rubberized cork rings. Here's what I do to make a rubberized cork butt cap. This will not work with a one piece blank unless you have a lathe that has a through chuck.

I assume you are turning your grips on a mandrel but it doesn't matter if you turn on the blank. First turn your grip and install on the blank such that the butt of the blank is even with the butt of the grip or if turning on the blank, build your grip such that the last ring is even with the butt of the blank and turn away. Once the grip is to your liking install the rubber cork ring onto the butt of the grip with epoxy. Reverse the blank such that the tip end is in the chuck (or on a mandrel) and support the rod well out to the grip. It then takes seconds to sand down the rubber cork to the desired shape.

If you are using a multi-piece blank the butt section will be longer than the rest by the thickness of the rubber cork ring. If you don't like this then trim the butt of the blank by the thickness of the ring before you install the grip. Also, you can cut the rubber cork ring on the lathe to just about any thinckness you want with an exacto type blade.

Andy Snedden

Posted by: Gordon Glover (---.sttl.uswest.net)
Date: February 23, 2002 02:16AM

Steve If I understand what your trying to do, You might try this.I use custom grip II (without hole bored in Middle)that I purchased through Clemens. It come 2”x2”x17” .I use a table saw to cut off a piece about 1", then use a drill press to drill a hole in the center 3/4"deep so that you dont drill all the way through, You will want to use a drill bit that is
the same diameter as the butt end of your rod. At this point I then draw a circle about 1.25" and use my scroll saw to cut out the circle. then use epoxy or U-40 Rod bond to attach to rod, If your turning your own handles you can put it on at the same time if not just remember to leave 3/4”of blank for the butt cap.let sit over night, The next day I put the rod in my lath ( which is nothing more than drill put in a home made stand with some V blocks to support rod) then use sandpaper to sand down to match handle. You can make these any length you want, and the custom grip comes in different colors

Hope this can Help Gordon Glover

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster