I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best finishes
Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 02:24PM

I read in a previous post that different finishes suited different styles of application. Which finish is best for the slow and clumsy style that I use? i.e. most forgiving and longest pot life. I've been using flexcoat lite it seems o.k., but I'm rushing and at this stage of the game it shows. What about c.p.? Is the 811 as good as I hear, I get bubbles now that show thru at least the first coat of epoxy and sometimes the second.
Thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best finishes
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 22, 2002 02:37PM

Tom you could spend the next few months going back and forth with different finishes, for the time being concentrate on one,don't attempt to mix enough finish to do an entire rod mix 3cc of each part thoroughly,most find it better to pour out the mix onto aluminun foil, apply as quickly as possible but not so fast that you find yourself rushing,if at that the finish is still starting to set up discard mix a new batch again use exact ammounts and mix carefully ,when you reach or have completed applying the finish go back and touch up the guides you will be able to do this for a considerable ammount of time,as to bubbles,generally they come from 3 sources the mix might contain some,the brush if used will have air traped in the bristles and air is traped under the threads. Cp if applied properly will reduce the air under the threads as it should be removed with the cp application.Using a thin narrow mixing tool will reduce the ammount of bubbles created while mixing, and if you use smooth brush strokes and apply the finish thinly it will help preent any other bubbles from forming. with Flex Coat light a mild source of heat will generally pop any bubbles that form, be sure the tunnels at the guide ft. are sealed with finish or cp as many bubble problems occur here.
Hope this helps
John

Re: best finishes
Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 22, 2002 05:27PM

Thanks John, I am using the foil and although I shouldn't say this out loud I haven't had any bubbles in the finish. They've been in the c.p. they pop on there own but leave visible rings. I've wiped the c.p. when it was still wet and eliminated this but I think I may be defeating the purpose by not letting it soak in longer.
Tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster