I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Weave help
Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:29PM

Can weaving really be this difficult? I am on my third attempt to make Clemens example of a snook in his book Custom Rod Thread Art. I am using tape and labeling each and every thread. What a mess! It looks like Medusa's hair! I can't keep all the threads flat and straight without twisting and tangling.
I performed a search on this site for "weaves" and read alot about weaving tools and looms. Is this the way to go as a beginner? Or do I hack through this carnage and pretend I know what I'm doing?
If I'm going about this weaving thing the right way, then the weaves I've seen from some rod builders need to be put in the Smithsonian. I can't believe it can be this confusing and frustrating.

Any suggestions, directions or pointers greatly appreciated.

nick

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Weave help
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:51PM

You can make a nice using the tape. But there will be some drawbacks. A weaving jig takes much of the frustration out of the process. It holds you threads more tightly, keeps them separated and makes it easy to find the right ones. You can also leave a weave and come back to it later without the fear of threads having fallen off the rod.

If you intend to be doing more than just a couple weaves, it might well be a wise investment.

Posted by: jim kastorff (170.213.132.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 05:41PM

When I was using masking tape to hold the threads, I always seperated the threads by putting a red line down the center of the tape so on a 40 thread weave, 20 threads would be on each side of the red line. Then I divided each set of 20 into groups of 5, ie, 1-5, 6-10, 11-15 etc and marked them off with a different color. I did this on both the right and left sides. It really helped keep the threads in the right place and keep track of them. I checked with 3M and bought the tape that had the highest adhesive content per sq inch-can't remember the number anymore.
I now use a loom which makes weaving infinitely more pleasureable with all the benefits Tom K mentioned above. I will email you more info re looms later, easy to make - once you try them you'll never go back to tape again. Don't give up, it really does get easier and more fun, in no time you'll be making your own weave patterns!

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 07:05PM

With help from Jim Kastorff, I got one of the small plastic weaving jigs or looms. I did a jumping tarpon on a pattern I bought years ago from Clemens. It was a breeze. I started one evening and left the pattern overnight and finished the weave next day. All of my threads were in place. No more tape for me. The only problem I had was remembering which was my left side and which was my right.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 08:01PM

Nick,
Don't be frustrated! You have reached a level of Thread art that is both fun and rewarding. When I started, I used the tape method and did achieve good results, the Loom is the route to go. As mentioned in the above responses, once you try a loom you will wonder how you ever accomplished weaving without it. Keep practicing, and when you are through, practice some more, before long you will be weaving in your sleep, well almost.

Good Luck, any questions on the subject feel free to ask or e-mail me or others on this site.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Nick Brunetti (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 08:31PM

THANKS for the help and the encouragement, everyone.

I am sure the way to go is the jig/loom. I guess I'll add another tool to my rod building arsenal.

Thanks, again for all of your help. This was my first post and was thrilled that I even had replies.. This board is defintely full of helpful help people!
nick

Posted by: Rob Winge (---.mn.mediaone.net)
Date: February 24, 2002 03:11PM

I have just started doing some weaving and the tape is a pain. Where could I find a loom or some type of jig? Thanks for all the great information.

Posted by: ETHAN ARRINGTON (---.slo-dyn.charterpipeline.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 05:25PM

I'VE BEEN WRAPPING AND WEAVING RODS FOR SOME TIME NOW. THE TAPE METHOD WAS THE ONLY METHOD I THOUGHT THAT EXISTS. WHAT IS THIS JIG OR LOOM METHOD AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE.

Posted by: ETHAN ARRINGTON (---.slo-dyn.charterpipeline.com)
Date: February 24, 2002 05:29PM

I'VE BEEN WRAPPING AND WEAVING RODS FOR SOME TIME NOW. THE TAPE METHOD WAS THE ONLY METHOD I THOUGHT THAT EXISTS. WHAT IS THIS JIG OR LOOM METHOD AND WHERE CAN I GET ONE.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster