I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help for tuna rod??
Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 07:45PM

I am planning to build my first tuna rod. Could someone suggest how I determine the length and size of the blank? (any particular manufacturer that is better than another?). Also which guides are generally used for this type of rod? I assume the threads for the guides are larger than the "A" that I have used on spinning rods. The tuna I will be fishing for are about 60-80 pounds. Thanks for any help.
Sanford Hochman

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help for tuna rod??
Posted by: Joe Rivera (12.149.140.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 08:20PM

Sanford
Don't know how much you want to spend. But If price isn't that
much of a factor you should take a look a the G Loomis
Pelagic Blanks. After talking to the local Tackle dealer
about blanks I could get for fishing Sturgean he sold on
a 7'-6" 20-30 lbs line Pelagic blank. He really wanted to
sell me the whole rod but I want to build my own. Go test
one out you'll be impressed.

Joe

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:23PM

pacbay has a tuna series 48.5" to 6' 50 to 130 pound test mid 40's to mid 60 's cost wise i would look in to rollers and for sure underand over wraps also if you are a little leary they have a pbx series and the cost there is about half just a thought.. hope this helps John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:35PM

Sanford, Give Petrochemical at call at the Left. He builds these rods and can give you direction/advice that is hard to beat. Give him a try and tap into his knowledge, he is the one.

Pat Barnard

Posted by: Sanford Hochman (---.cape.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:37PM

Thanks to you all for your help. I'll check out all your suggestions. This will make my start much easier.
Sanford

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:39PM

Check out the Calstar line, the most popular West Coast tuna rods, I'd go to a tackle store to pull on some 40-50# class rods to determine which blank to buy. I just purchased a Calstar grafighter 700H, a 7' rod to fish 50# line on. Will use Fugi HNSG SIC guides. I triple wrap all my rods including heavy trolling rods using only A thread which is plenty strong if you finish each wrap. For a shorter 40-50# grafighter check out the 765L or 765ml blank-also popular out here for tuna.

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:41PM

Check w/ C.M.S. in New Bedford he's done a bunch of them. I fished a couple last summer and was very impressed.
Tom

Posted by: Sang An (---.east.saic.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:43PM

You say that the tuna you're going for are 60-80# but what is the line weight you'll be using to fish them? The line weight has everything to do with which blank you end up choosing. Brands to consider are:

Graphite USA (my favorite for 60# line and under)
Calstar (Glass or Composite Grafighter)
Seeker (Glass or Composite Blacksteel)

Also, will you be trolling, chunking, live baiting? Do you prefer bent butts or straight? Rollers or ring guides?

Posted by: Jeff Thomson (65.104.119.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 04:11PM

For 60-80 lb tuna, I agree with Jim K. above that you should look at 40 - 50 lb or even 60 lb test tackle. 40 might be too light. If you go to 60 lb test, use AFTCO rollers, seat and gimbal - hypalon grips. I like Calstar myself - try a 765ml blank - this is 6.5 feet, which is better imo for heavier fish than a 7 footer. You can use A or D thread, whichever you prefer.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 23, 2002 05:20PM

You should look at the Lamiglas composite blanks.

Kerry

Posted by: rich fernandez (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 19, 2005 08:45PM

hi, I read your thread on rodbuilders concerning calstar 700H.........................................could you send me the guide spacings, I building a spiral wrap tuna jigging stick..
thanks
Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster