I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mandrel Turned Grips
Posted by: Andrew Eaton (---.netwk-innov.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 04:24PM

On all of the rods that I have built, I have turned the grips on the blank. I would like to try turning some grips on mandrels, but I have some concerns.
-How do you keep the grip from becoming glued to the mandrel?
-Once the grip is turned, what are some ways to ream out the grip to fit it to the blank?
The second question is directed towards longer rear grips >10in.

Thanks,
A. Eaton

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mandrel Turned Grips
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 04:59PM

Rub the mandrel with paraffin wax before mounting the rings. The grip will stick well enough for turning. After turning, lock one end of the mandrel in a vise and with a quick twist "pop" the grip off the mandrel.

You will need to keep several different sized mandrels on hand and pre-bore the rings to fit whatever size mandrel is just undersized of the blank area where the grip will reside. Thus, you need only do slight reaming to achieve the final fit. This is much easier than trying to do all your fitting by hand reaming from say, 1/4 inch bore to something like a 3/8th or 1/2 inch bore.

If you must do your fitting totally by reaming, keep moving up to larger reamers as the bore enlarges and use a twisting motion rather than push/pull to keep the bore centered.

This information was fully covered in my book - Rod Building Guide.

Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:04PM

do a search on the sticking to the mandral i belive some folks wax or coat there mandrals as far as im concerned stick with the turning on the blank for your longer rear grips ... i have not had good luck reaming it later on heck for what you buy rings for
you can get preformed cheaper and saves some time ....hope it helps ...John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 12:53PM

I usually turn my grips on the blank like you do. I have used some preformed grips and even turned a few on a mandrel as described. I only have on size mandrel which fits the 1/4" holes. Here's a good way to get a preformed handle bored without using different tapered reamers. I chuck a 3/8 inch round file into my lathe. Turing in the right direction it works like a fine drill. Keep low pressure and let the file work. Once through the grip rotate the grip with pressure on the file keeping it centered. Test for fit often. Works like a charm and as a byproduct you get some very fine cork dust for filling pits. Good luck.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster