I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fuji vs Pacfic bay
Posted by: Wesley Chappell (161.33.3.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 03:26PM

I am very new to rod building. If I am using SIC guides is it worth the price difference to pay for fuji guides? The type rods I will be building are mostly saltwater boat, trolling, and stand-up rods. The smaller rods will be 7 ft 30lb class mostly for king fishing. The stand up's will be 5 1/2 ft 80lb class mostly for grouper fishing. Until now I have mostly used the mid range penn rods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fuji vs Pacfic bay
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 04:36PM

A local shop I do repairs for has a company make rods for them using Pac Bay SIC guides and overall considering the numbers sold they hold up quite well as many of the rods are abused. That being said my own preference for custom rods is Fuji.
John

Date: February 20, 2002 06:08PM

This goes back to my orginal question. Is it worth paying 2 to 3 times more for Fuji? Are they 2 to 3 times better? I think if I was using rollers I could understand using Aftco as opposed to Pacfic Bay. If you are using SIC guides can there be that big of a difference between the two brands? I am not trying to be cheap I just want to know if they are better what makes them better?

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:27PM

Fuji rings seem to be more highly polished and their guide frames do not seem to rust as quickly. Not at all on the Ti frames and those aren't plated they are actual titanium alloy.

I would be the first to agree that the competitors are improving greatly though. I wouldn't be scared to use any of them.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:14PM

I beiieve that you get what you pay for in guides, as well as many other things. In my opinion, Fuji guides are clearly superior to PacBay.

Hugh Miller

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:42PM

Another vote for Fugi, why take a chance with cheaper guides, you get what you pay for-jmo

Posted by: Dan Corbett (---.rback0.flnt.mi.voyager.net)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:01PM

Another option. Although I use primalry Fuji SIC's I have tried the new Cabela's titanium carbide guides. They only come in doublefoots but the rings are Zirconia ceramic with a titanium coating on a chromed stainless steel frame. They are very strong and they say have the same heat dissipation as SIC. I don't know who makes them for Cabelas but I imagine it's Pac Bay. The prices is very attractive and I imagine they will hold up well to salt water. They have them listed online and in their tackle craft catalog. I built two flippin sticks with them, one on a Perigee blank that came out just awesome. Check it out.

Re: Fuji vs Pacfic bay/preferences
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 21, 2002 02:26PM

Dan,
Forecast guides have beautiful titanium carbide plated frame guides, as does Pac. Bay. You're right, they are a very nice alternative and very durable. The zirconia ring is nearly as hard as SiC and have superior heat dissipation.

Fuji will rarely have disagreement about it's good product. The others are very good, and many styles available for more choice.
Personally, I love Fuji titanium, but be prepared to pay the higher cost. very nice.

We've got lot's of good response and comments about the titanium carbide frame guides, including the ones with black hard ceramic ring material. very cost effective with quality durability and appearance.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Date: February 22, 2002 05:09PM

Let me tell a story: There were 5 monkeys in side of a cage with a set of stairs and a bananna on top. Every time a monkey would climb the stairs ice cold water would spray on all the monkeys. After a while they all learned not to climb the stairs. One day they switched out a monkey and put a new on in the cage. He tried to climb the stairs and all the other monkeys beat him up. After that they placed another new monkey in the cage and of course he went for the bananna and the other monkeys beat him up. They did this 3 more times untill all the the monkeys were new monkeys and still none of them climed the stairs but none of the monkeys knew why.
Are we just wasting out money or are these fuji guides that good.
The information I would like to know is about rusting and about heat
dissipation. I don't want to buy something just because of prefence.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster