I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Maker cover
Posted by: Larry Thomas (4.40.159.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 11:17AM

Hey Tom:

Got my issues yesterday. Came just fine with the false cover. Loved smaller type more information.

Question. The finish on the guides on the cover was flawless. How many coats of finsh were on that guide and what did you do between coats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Maker cover
Posted by: Mark Wendt (---.nrl.navy.mil)
Date: February 20, 2002 11:41AM

Guess I'm being punished for receiving my last issue early..... ;^Þ Haven't seen the new issue yet, but am anxiously looking forward to it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 01:34PM

Larry,

Actually I was not pleased with that finish. Normally I would use 2 applications of an epoxy on such a rod. That one is an oddball, sort of.

I was trying to see what would happen with PermaGloss on a large saltwater type rod. I put on about 4 applications of it and did not care for the "faceted egg-shell" look on that particular rod (looks good on fly rods!). So, I applied one application of LS Supreme over it. What I winded up with was a very smooth and level finish but one that appears to reflect light the way a faceted surface will. Sort of like a diamond. It's confusing - a smooth surface but a faceted appearance. Have not decided if I like it or not.

Date: February 20, 2002 05:01PM

Use the link to the left. Although you may not see this as your post will be removed due to the rules violation!

Posted by: Travis Howard (---.coos-bay.k12.or.us)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:25PM

Thanks....
did I do it right this time? :)
sorry for the last post.

Date: February 20, 2002 05:32PM

No big deal, those posts with just initials or first names get zapped automatically and sometimes pretty quickly.

There is a subscription form on the site and it is secure, or you can use the address on the site to mail your subscription request in. If you don't want to go for a full subscription I usually suggest buying a back issue of your choice and seeing if it is something you think you'd be interested in. Most like it, a few don't.

Posted by: Travis Howard (---.coos-bay.k12.or.us)
Date: February 20, 2002 05:40PM

great, thanks... first time poster, just found the site... great site!

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:13PM

My issue arrived today and in good shape. The false cover thing seems to be a good idea. This magazine is a great buy for the money. A really good deal. I wish I had bit the bullet earlier and got more issues.

Posted by: Pat Doyle (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:27PM

OK, Tom I guess I might as well put my two cents worth in here. My issue arrived a couple days ago.......... dog eared, and well read by the various hands who were captivated by the BEAUTIFUL magazine. Not really a problem, as I have all past issues in approx. the same condition after I read them MANY times.

I very much enjoy your hard work. Thanks, Pat Doyle

Date: February 21, 2002 08:46AM

Pat,

Thanks for the comments. If you ever get an issue that you honestly feel is damaged, do not hesitate to ask for a replacement.

Posted by: Jim Johns (---.boeing.com)
Date: February 21, 2002 10:37AM

Mine came Tuesday. The false cover was bent up a little, but the actual magazine was in great condition. Good idea, Tom.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster