I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Extra guide (placement)?
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.clarityconnect.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 08:44AM

Building a 9' 5wt med. action flyrod. The stripping guide (#12) and next guide (#10) are 4" from ea. other, and follow with snakes sized 5,5,4,4,3,3, and 2,2, tip. Using a deflection test, it seems as if there should be another guide after the second guide (from the butt). My answer is to use a #6 snake guide here, or would you go another route?? (Is eleven guides too much for a nine-foot rod?)
Thanks! Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Extra guide (placement)?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:04AM

Eleven guides are not too many, if that is what your rod needs.

Your additional stripping type guide is added not as the second stripper, but in addition to the second stripper. In other words, if you would normally have two stripping (double foot ceramic type - I know there is only one stripping guide on any fly rod, technically) guides then this additional guide is placed between the two you normally have and about four inches ahead of the first one.

Some people insert the additional guide that way while others place it 4 inches ahead of the first one and then space the rest from that point.

Perhaps give it a try that way and see how it works for you.

Posted by: Greg Rodrigues (192.223.226.---)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:36AM

I was going to ask this same question this morning for a 9' 6wt rod.

As for the sizing of the stripping guides, can they be 12-10-10 or is there a different recommendation.

Thanks,

Greg.

Posted by: Solana Rosa (---.salta.sinectis.com.ar)
Date: February 20, 2002 09:51AM

10 or even 9 guides are not too few., too.-

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:01AM

They can be 12 - 10 -10, unless your tests show a different set-up to be better. You might also try using high frame spinning guides along the lines of the Fuji SVSG style for these guides.

And yes, 9 or 10 guides is not too few, if that is all that is required. We have to remember that there is no set number of guides to be used on a rod - that number is always determined by the specific blank and how many it needs. Two 9 foot fly rods may each require a different number of guides to achieve our criteria.

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 10:19AM

Thanks for the help. I wasn't sure if eleven guides would be overkill. I think that if this rod was a stiffer blank, ten guides would work due to a different type of flex, but being a "medium" or slower nature, it looks as if I need an extra guide according to the deflection test. Thanks again!

Posted by: Andrew White (165.29.23.---)
Date: February 21, 2002 09:45AM

I don't think 11 guides is too many. As has been said, the multiple stripper set-up actually acts more like one guide than two. A 12-10-10 set-up, or even a 12-10-8 set-up (all Fujis) each 4" from the other is what I'd initially try, then test-cast and modify from there. On the most recent medium-action fly rod I built, three strippers (each 4" from the previous) worked wonders for added distance and overall smoothness of casting. I used 12-10-8, then went to single-foot snakes (5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1--I think).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster