I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shipping long one piece rods
Posted by: Anthony Rossillo (---.tnt4.phx1.da.uu.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 07:13PM

Well, I've been doing this rod building stuff for about 2 years now. It is surprising when I keep running into a new situation. Most of my rods that I have built to be shipped have had an overall length of 66". Most of been two piece, boat rods, etc. If I built a 7' or 8' live bait rod the customer came in person to pick them up.

Now here is the situation. I have this beautiful Harnell one piece 11' surf rod. I have just started working on it and realized I have to ship it to my customer. Checked with the Post Office and some of these Mail & Go places. They won't take it. Does anyone know who will handle this type of package and should I just use PVC pipe to ship it in?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Anthony Rossillo
Arizona

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shipping long one piece rods
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 07:42PM

pvc is all you really need i would double tube this rod simply because you need to check with a common carrier i.e. frieght shipper ups /fedx might do it for a bundle but your best bet will be a frieght company hope this helps ....John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.elnk.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 08:50PM

You might try asking your distributor if he would ship it for you. I have done this on occasion and find it a great help.....Jim Upton

Posted by: Scott Goad (---.pm3-2-ark.kcisp.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 11:05PM

Anthony,
Like John said, check your carriers. Make sure they will transport a package that length.
As far as packaging...we use PVC on our rod shipments. However, do not use your local post office. We have had a lot of problems with the PVC showing up bent or crushed to our customers with the rods broken. In some cases, the PVC tubes had been opened and the robs removed and than replaced.
Since than we have used FedEx...and have had no problems since than.
Best of luck!

Posted by: George Thurston (---.cox-internet.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 11:12PM

Anthony, Check with FedEX Ground. That's who I use for all of my rod shipment and they are alot cheaper that anyone else. I use schedule 20 PVC tubing for all of my rods. Good Luck.
George

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: February 20, 2002 11:50AM

Scott,

Interesting experiences. Mine have been just the opposite. FedEx has damaged several rods I've shipped, while the USPS has always done an admirable job. Perhaps each person's experiences, good or bad, depend on his location and the individuals who handle the packages. I know our FedEx delivery man has a bad reputation all over town.

Harry Boyd

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster