I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Water-Stained Cocobolo--What to do?
Posted by: Andrew White (165.29.23.---)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:57AM

I fished one of my demo. rods last weekend. Unfortunately, when I returned home, I forgot to remove the rod from the sock and let dry. Consequently, when I removed the rod a few days back, there was an unsightly water stain on the front end of my insert. Not surprisingly, the stain is the exact size of the NS slip ring. I've had it out of the sock for a couple of days, and the stain doesn't seem to be going away. Will the water eventually dry (and the stain disappear), or do I need to do something else to fix it?

I guess I could just leave it there, as a warning to all potential customers--"This is what happens when you don't dry your rod!"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water-Stained Cocobolo--What to do?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 09:24AM

If the insert is finished, then what you have is a stain on the finish itself. Water stains can be removed in various ways. There are lots of old "family remedies" for this sort of thing. Try a stab at some of the woodworking sites for the Q&A on this sort of thing. Your local library may also have some woodworking books that will help you out. It is possible you can rectify the problem without having to refinish, depending upon how bad the water stain is.

Regular unfinished cocobolo usually doesn't water stain. It's too resinous to absorb water. If is does, all you'd have to do is sand the insert and re-polish and it would be good as new.

Posted by: John Lasky (---.nycap.rr.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 11:33AM

Andrew ,

As Tom said try some wood working remedies.

I would try making a paste with pummice and rottenstone with an oil such as linseed . Pummice first then rotten stone and try polishing the stain out. Ive polished out some pretty deep scrathes and discolorations with the two different compounds on a variety of woods and plastic . Golden witch sells both pumace and rotten stone for $5-$6 a box it will last you for years.

Is your spacer stabalized or natural, it will work on both types of wood though stabalized wood will polish up to a high gloss due to impregneted resins.

Happy wraps "John"

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 12:20PM

I almost hate to toss this in, but I have heard of people using mayonaise to rub out water stains on furniture finishes. I have no idea if it actually works, but I have heard of more than one person doing this. Try it at your own risk, however.

Posted by: Jeff Thomson (---.lsanca1.vz.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: February 19, 2002 12:29AM

I've also read about using toothpaste to take out surface water stains in wood.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 21, 2002 01:51PM

To jump in:

If the rod was cold when you put it in the tube, then the problem is caused by water condensing on the cold nickle silver ring. Let the rod warm up to room temperature before casing it.

What did you finish the insert with? Most likely the stain is in the finish rather than the wood. And if the wood is stained the finish is no good anyway.

I think you should refinish the insert with something better. after all, it is a fishing rod and it will get wet again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster