I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Oversizeing
Posted by: Harald Runde (---.daxnet.no)
Date: February 18, 2002 06:53AM

What is the normal procedure when oversizeing the guides? Go up a size on every guide?

Thanks!

-Harald-

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Oversizeing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 07:58AM

First of all, why would you do this? Next, since there is really no such thing as a "standard" guide size it would be hard to say if going up one size is oversizing - we may all be starting from a different point.

Guides should always be of the smallest size that will perform the required task. Any larger, and you only rob yourself of some measure of the blank's performance.

Date: February 18, 2002 08:32AM

The reason I want to use oversized guides is that I want to cast longer.
I am going to build a sage rod so I know what guide size is normally used. It is a 5 weight XP that I sometimes will be using for sea run browns.

I know several manufacturers kall their guides oversized. Of course, if they are making a mistake I don`t want to make the same.

How serious will the "oversizeing" affect my fishing and the feel and performance of the rod positively and negatively?

Thanks!

-Harald-

Date: February 18, 2002 08:52AM

Oversizing the guides will not allow you to cast further, in fact, it may reduce your distance as the rod will now have to carry the extra weight of the larger guides (this weight is slight, so we're not talking about a huge difference, but there will be some). Thus, some of your imparted energy that could have been used for casting the line must now to be used to start and stop the extra weight of the larger guides.

What you want, are the smallest guides that still allow you to do what you need to do. Spend an single hour and do this-

1. Put on the same guides which Sage uses. With the same reel and line set-up you expect to use on the rod, make some test casts. Check for distance and get a feel for what the rod is doing and how the line is moving.

2. Now oversize all the guides by one size (keep the stripping guide the same size for now). Test cast again and note the distance. If no increase in distance is realized, scrap the oversized guides.

3. Now undersize the guides by one size from the Sage set-up. (Keep the stripping guide the same for now.) If no decrease in distance from the first set is found, keep the smaller guides. If some distance is lost, go back to the original set-up.

4. Using the best guide set-up you have so far, upsize the stripping guide by one size and cast again. If the distance improves, keep it. If not, scrap it and go back to the original size.

5. With the best overal set-up you have found thus far, install an additional stripping guide, one size smaller than the first one, and about 4 inches just past the first one (don't worry if this extra guide looks funny) and cast again. If you gain distance, consider keeping it. If not, scrap it.

By this time you should have arrived a good overall set-up for your rod.

Date: February 18, 2002 09:56AM

Thanks for a great post Tom!

I`m just an amateur rod building student so I`m afraid I can`t afford the experiment you`re suggesting.

But in your opinion the best type of guide setup for performance and castability will be:

1. use as small guides as possible, or one size smaller than the original setup.

2. upsize the stripping guide and add one extra stripper 4 inches closer to the top?

1. will not make the rod throw any shorter than normal or oversized guides, and maybe even make it throw longer?

2. will make the rod throw longer...?

Thanks!

-Harald-

Date: February 18, 2002 10:47AM

If you are using snake guides, then you're not really talking about any sort of large investment in the extra guides needed for the testing. Maybe $10? Believe me, it's worth it.

If you can't do this, then rely on the testing, little as it may be, that the factory has done and use their recommended sizing.

I'd still try the extra stripping guide at 4 inches past the first. It'll only run you the cost of one extra guide.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 11:09AM

If you cannot afford the extra guides, when you order tell the people you are ordering from what you are planning to do, and that you intend on sending some of the guides back after you determine which ones you are going to use on the rod. Just make sure prior to ordering if this is OK with them, and you have spent $0 extra for the optimum guides.

Good sequence Tom
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 08:05PM

Thanks for the procedure Tom. Very simple and it would see to lead you to the best overall set up with a minimum of fuss. Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster