I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Mixing Burl & Reg. Cork
Posted by: Edwin Kime (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2004 09:02AM

If I stagger burl cork with regular cork on a handle what would be the best way to finish it with Tru Oil, Permgloss, Cork seal, or something else?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing Burl & Reg. Cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.139.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: August 06, 2004 09:08AM

I've been doing exactly that over 20 years but have yet to apply any sort of finish to the grip. You don't need to finish it, unless you simply want to. In that case, Tru-Oil or U-40 Cork Seal are good options.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.s528.tnt1.abrd.md.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: August 06, 2004 09:41AM

I don't have much experience with mixing burl and regular but I have used U-40 Cork Seal a good bit. It makes the cork feel a little tougher. I like it on my heavier duty rods but usually leave it off of my light power more delicate rods. It's strictly a personal preference thing as far as feel but it does provide some protection from chipping and makes the cork clean up easier after it gets dirt or guts on it. You can put it on very quickly and easily and then if you don't like the feel, it is easily removed with some fine sandpaper to restore the bare cork look and feel.

Posted by: Erik Kunz (---.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net)
Date: August 06, 2004 10:10AM

I like using a coat of U-40 cork seal... brings out the grain of the burl cork a little bit and makes the natural cork look a bit richer. I like the look... personal preference.

Erik

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.us.kpmg.com)
Date: August 06, 2004 11:06AM

I have used Tru-Oil on both the cork and burl and only on the burl (applied with a small artist brush). The reason is, I always really like the effect Tru-Oil on the burl grain, but not always the darkening of the cork. One of the things about Tru-Oil is it will slightly darken and highlight all the cork imperfections. imo, sometimes this weathered/antigue look adds to the rod's appearance, sometimes it distracts.

Posted by: Andrew White (66.204.20.---)
Date: August 06, 2004 02:11PM

I like tru-oil for all cork, especially the burl cork. As Steve mentioned, though, the tru-oil really highlights the imperfections of the regular cork. So, if you don't like the look of the imperfections, use the U-40. If you like the antique look, you'll really like using tru-oil. The other option is to make sure that you use only ultra-premium regular cork and the imperfections won't be an issue (but your pocketbook will be much lighter).

If you're making those alternating ring grips, think about using1/2" regular cork rings, and 1/4" burl rings (or vice versa). I like the effect of these combinations a little more than the 1/2" regular and 1/2" burl.

Posted by: Spencer Bass (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2004 04:20PM

This may be obvious but it was not for me. I to mix the cork and something I was not doing was once I was done shaping the cork was to give it a good wash with detergent and water to get all the dust out. What a difference.

Spencer

Posted by: Mark Fisher (---.tnt1.broken-hill.au.da.uu.net)
Date: August 08, 2004 02:16AM

Steve

I've recently had my first experience with exactly what you are proposing. I turned burl cork and AAA.On each end of the grip I used a ring of rubberised cork. The mistake I made, which wasn't too bad, was that I mounted the grips and then Tru-oiled them. They turned out pretty good but I have have done some more experimenting applying Tru-oil in about 10 coats but lightly sanding with steel wool in between each coat. The grips look fantastic with a great gloss look and will be mounted on my next blank when it arrives.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster