I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Varathane 900
Posted by: Butch North (---.juneau-01-04rs16rt.ak.dial-access.att.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 09:42PM

Does anyone use Varathane 900 for their thread wraps?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Varathane 900
Posted by: Rich Margiotta (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2002 02:11PM

Varathane 900 is widely used by bamboo rod makers as a semi-color preserver. I say "semi" because the color will darken very slightly, but the threads will not go translucent (i.e., you won't be able to see the guide feet. I like it so well for bamboo because it's about the only "color preserver" I've found that will hold up in a dip tube without "bleeding".

I also use it on fiberglass rods, but basically as an undercoat. I like to add something more flexible and UV resistant as a top coat. So, I use 3 coats of Varathane 900 ( I get them on in a day with 4 hours between if I don't sand) followed by 1-2 coats of either spar or spar urethane. A thin coat of expoxy would probably work well also.

--Rich

Posted by: John Broughton (---.as2.mdsn0.wi.voyager.net)
Date: February 18, 2002 11:29PM

Hi Butch,

I used Flecto Varathane for a finish on fiberglas (both solid and tubular) for years with no problems. It was easy to use and by using
several coats able to get the high gloss finish of today. The only problem with Varathane is it will yellow slightly with age. I'm still using
rods I built 35 years ago and finished with varathane. Have never had
a wrap crack, peel or fleck and some of these rods were used in
tournament fishing. Most of the rods I built back then were Fenwick
gold blanks so the yellowing is not too noticeable except on lt blue
and green wraps. Today I use Flex Coat high build and lite build
finishes and am happy with the result. I've also used Flex Coat over
the varathane finish with good results.

John

Posted by: Eric Ege (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 19, 2002 08:55PM

What about using the varathane to completly re-do the finish on an entire rod?

Posted by: John Cole (---.nyc.untd.com)
Date: March 08, 2006 08:15PM

I am trying to find where I can buy Varathane 900 Any help would be appreciated. John Cole

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster