I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Just pitched the high build
Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 12:18AM

What in the world was I thinking?

I bought it locally before I started reading all of the info on this board, and decided that since it turned out OK for the underwraps (scraped most of it off after it had soaked in using a credit card), and I haven't received my UPS shipment yet, I'd go ahead and use it for the top coat.

Thankfully I started on a guide instead of the butt wrap. I'll be stripping it off tomorrow.

Will LS Supreme do ok over a Flex Coat coated underwrap?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just pitched the high build
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 09:01AM

Yes Supreme will do fine over the Flex Coat.

You need to be aware, however, that since Flex Coat works so well for so many builders (I have used it with perfect results on thousands of rods) that your problems may continue since it appears to be one of technique and not product.

Flex Coat holds the number one spot where rod finishes are concerned due to several reasons, two of which are its ease of use and the excellent results it provides.

Supreme is also an excellent finish and perhaps it will suit your personal finishing technique better. But all rod builders have to be careful about blaming finishes for finishing problems. I am not aware of any popular 2 part epoxies which are inherently problematic. They all work well and give excellent results when properly used.

Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 10:59AM

My problems weren't *that* serious, just a few bubbles that wouldn't release. This morning, the finish is nice and smooth, and if it weren't for those few bubbles, I'd be satisified. I think if I'd used regular flex-coat instead of high build, I would have been ok.

Maybe if I'd had more experience with finishes I wouldn't have had a problem, but the high build doesn't seem very forgiving.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 11:19AM

I probably shouldn't say this but I abuse flex coat all versions with no problem,best advice I could give is pratice untill you have a system of application that produces good consistent results and stay with it.
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 12:44PM

Flex Coat comes in two versions I am aware of, the regular and the "lite". I always used the regular as you can obtain just as thin a finish with it as you can the lite version.

Next time, try this. After you have coated all the wraps, use the gentle flame from an alcohol lamp, or a butane lighter if that is all you have, and hold the flame 2 or 3 inches under each wrap. Slowly move the flame to and fro while you rotate the rod. Don't get the finish too hot, just gently warm it and you will see the bubbles rise to the surface and leave the finish. You need to do this before the finish gets tacky - certainly within the first 20 to 25 minutes after mixing.

Just remember, don't let the flame touch the wraps/finish and warm only enough (2 or 3 seconds per wrap is usually enough) so that the bubbles expand, rise and release.

Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 16, 2002 04:16PM

My two cents: If you are in rodbuilding for the long haul, I would recommend Doc Ski's video on custom rod building. Since most of his rods are used for some heavy saltwater fishing , he would be the first to complain about the use of Flex Coat CP and finish. However, in his video he states that he uses CP on all his wraps and demonstrates how he goes about applying the finish and getting rid of bubbles.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster