I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel Seats for Saltwater
Posted by: Rob Boughton (65.82.96.---)
Date: February 15, 2002 06:30PM

Just wondering...I see most manufacturer's saltwater fly rods are equiped we rather uninspiring black reel seats. I realize salt is corrosive, but there have got to be some good looking light saltwater reel seat options for fly rods.

Can you get away with Fuji spinning seats using their wood inserts--or impregnated wood inserts in general? Will the salt ruin wood every time?

I noticed Abel rod company just began offering "coral" designs--wild, mult-colored saltwater seats and reels that certainly breaks the trend of blah. Anything out there amongst our buying options to spice things up a bit?

P.S. I don't have a lathe to allow me to turn marble (looks great Tom) and other materials for my own inserts, but I'll be happy to buy from those who do.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel Seats for Saltwater
Posted by: Joe Rivera (12.149.140.---)
Date: February 15, 2002 07:00PM

Struble I believe makes a Titanium Seat

Posted by: Brian Patterson (---.coatsv01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 07:16PM

Pac Bay makes some nice aluminum saltwater seats in anodized gold and in titianium and black. Relatively cheap too.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 07:53PM

I swear I read this on the old Guiuld board. A certain somebody who loves using Cocobolo buffs the heck out of the insert with different grades of polish & different wheels. I wish I could fins this in the archives, but this section has been lost. I believe he said he had no problems with his wood inserts finished in this fashion.

I also believe stabilizing the wood will allow you to use it in any conditions.

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 11:04PM

Rob,

The Able "Camo Coral" seats are beautiful. You can buy the reel to match as well. The only draw back is, they cost more than a house. But, if your looking for something truly unique...

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 16, 2002 12:20AM

Rob,
The pac bay seats mentioned are pretty decent.
Also, Batson's Forecast reel seats anodized in model A9L2-T
is a nice inspiring titanium finish pretty nice and relatively inexpensive.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Eric Young (---.intervoice-brite.com)
Date: February 18, 2002 04:55PM

Rob,

Before I got my lathe I had Robert Venneri turn some inserts for me to fit the 16mm fuji seats. I have two of them on rods I use in saltwater. One is a cocobolo insert and the other is a stabalized dark maple burl. Both have held up fine. He has these seats listed on his website under spinning seats(i think). If you don't see them on his site, I have a couple of pix on my eboard of those inserts. [eyoung.eboard.com] ....look in the "fuji inserts" tab

Hope this helps.
Eric

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster