I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

rod wrapper
Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 08:47PM

Does anyone have plans for a hand wrapper? I have built my own using V cuts with felt but would like something better. Something more adjustable as mine has both ends fixed. Thanks, DP

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: rod wrapper
Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 09:05PM

You could always make a third self standing support to go with what you have now and just move it to where it needs to be for good support. You might even route a slot in the bases of what you have now and then fit a board with a thin strip of wood to fit in the slot you cut in the bases of the supports. This provides alignment all along the length and you can slide the piece up or down to where you need them.

Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 10:37PM

Kevin, I have three additional supports made that are free standing but sometimes I get in awkward winding positions because both sides of the wrapper are stationary like the flexcoat wrapper. DP

Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 11:30PM

I made a simple wrapper out of of 1x4's. I used rollerblade wheels for the turning points (bought a used pair at a thrift store for $3). The wheels were in really good shape, but were somewhat dirty, so I cleaned them really well, first with a household cleaner then with alcohol. You can see it at [www.acc-tec.com] if you're curious.

When I first started practicing on it (wrapping on old dowels), I found that the supports moved around quite a bit. My short-term solution was to take a 6' section of 1x2 I had left over from making it, and using it as a "guide" to slide the supports along. When they're positioned how I need them for the current task, I apply a little duct tape between the 1x2 and the base of the standing support to temporarily hold it in place.

My long-term solution will be to make a track using my router then to cut a corresponding groove into the bottom of the supports. I just haven't gotten around to that yet.

After playing with this for a while and 3/4 done wrapping my first rod, I would recommend looking into other wheels as a first option - either aircraft pulleys or screen-door wheels with o-rings around them as has been suggested in other messages. The rollerblade wheels turn very smoothly, but they are also somewhat large and "clunky." They're fine for the re-wrap of my 30-50# trolling rod, but I don't think they'd do to well on a really small-diameter blank. I'll put them to the test when I do one of the lt/med saltwater blanks I have in the closet.

Finally, at some point I'll probably "re-engineer" the wheel mounts to have some needed vertical adjustment.

My next project is a multi-spool thread tensioning device...

Posted by: Don Greife (63.124.164.---)
Date: February 14, 2002 11:40PM

Nice Job Kelly,, Thanks for sharing,, Don

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean2.eticomm.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 11:38PM

Made mine from a couple mahoganie scraps and 2 12 inch pieces of 1/4 inch all thread for uprights a piece of alum. angle and some wheels i bought on @#$%&.
they are height adjustable using wing-nuts

if you would like a photo let me know

Posted by: Greg Pennell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 17, 2002 08:35PM

I recently built my own hand wrapper, and wrote a little "how to" and took some photos . It's not fancy, but works well, and cost less than 20 bucks to build. The article can be found at
[www.steelheader.net]

Hope this helps.

Greg Pennell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster