I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Cabela's Blanks
Posted by: Gordon Glover (---.sttl.uswest.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 01:57PM

I'm Considering Building some Rods for resale, using Cabela's own blanks, (because of there low cost) has Any one out there used them and had any success.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cabela's Blanks
Date: February 14, 2002 02:18PM

P.S My e-mail is customrodart@qwest.net

Date: February 14, 2002 02:21PM

P.S My e-mail is customrodart@netscape.net

Posted by: Joe Hart (165.121.37.---)
Date: February 14, 2002 02:37PM

Gordon, I have built a few but only in the XML series. They're apretty good blank but I would also suggest looking at the Rainshadow line from Batson Ent. These blanks have impressed me so much that I am currently replacing 5 of my personal rods with them. Dollar for dollar and in the name of performance I think you would be hard pressed to beat them. Joe Hart

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 02:44PM

Gordon with all the good lower cost blanks available today such as Rainshadow,Amtek, Pac Bay etc who offer a very wide selection in blanks would you choose Cabellas where you have no idea who the actual manufacturer is.All these manufacturers offer warranties and stand behind their products and are readily available from component suppliers.
John

Posted by: Bob Johnson (---.in-tch.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 03:44PM

John,

I once heard that Loomis makes the blanks for Cableas. I agree though, there are great blanks out there at excellent prices.

Bob Johnson

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 04:18PM

Bob your response is in part the answer to the problems with that type of blank,at one time Loomis may have made them along with others,I have also heard they are all imported which in an of itself is fine many good blanks are imported but lets take Loomis for example they make model A for Cabellas contract expires and now model A is made by someone else there is just no knowing for certain who the manufacturer is and talking to a cabellas rep means nothing since they can make any claim as to the manufacturer.In almost all case where a blank manufacturer makes a blank for another company they are made to the specks of the purchaser not to the specks of the regular manufacturer.
John
nothing against cabellas blanks they may be fine just how I feel

Posted by: Russell Kappius (---.gmg.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 05:22PM

I've built 3 rods (personal) using Cabela's blanks, and have been impressed with them. They are reasonably priced, cast exceptionally well, and when you look at the custom build kits, are an outstanding value. After building everything from a $20 no-name to splitting my own cane, the Cabela's blanks stand out as an outstanding value to me.

Posted by: Harlin Smith (167.64.48.---)
Date: February 14, 2002 05:38PM

At the recent Conclave, Gary Loomis told a number of attendees that Loomis makes the blanks for Cabela's rods. He actually said that Cabela's gave him his first order when he opened the G Loomis rod factory. I would think this applies only to the higher end blanks, but he did not specify.

Date: February 14, 2002 08:38PM

Hey Thanks alot for the feed back this is my first time using this site,I was just told about it a couple of weeks ago.

Posted by: Chris Tan (---.jaring.my)
Date: February 15, 2002 08:15AM

I'm currently using 8 of Cabelas blanks for my own personal use. 1 spin, 5 casting and 2 fly. FE2, XML, and SL (since 1998). I'm planning to order a more end of this month.

Posted by: Scott Kolts (---.teledynemetalworking.com)
Date: February 15, 2002 10:02AM

I remember Gary Loomis saying that GLoomis currently makes Cabelas' high-end blanks.

He also said GLoomis makes Fly Logic blanks as well as many other company's blanks. I don't think he specifically mentioned any other companies by name though.

Posted by: Don Kelly (---.lebnon01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 09:31PM

I used Cabelas PT blank for a 7 weight. I love it! They are betwwen a moderate and a fast action rod. These blanks are only around 50 or 60 bucks. TRY ONE!!
tight wraps
~Don~

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster