I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spine Location
Posted by: Bob Johnson (---.in-tch.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 04:24PM

I have built several fly rods over the past few years and used L.A. Garcia's book as a guide. He says that the spine of a blank is where the "jump" occurs when rolling the blank. I have always tried to use this by locating exactly where the blank balances on the "jump" point. Recently, however, I have read some pieces that tell me the spine is where the blank naturally rights itself when bent. These usually end up as different places on the blank. Which sould I use?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spine Location
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 04:28PM

The effective spine is the place where the blank, when pressured, locates itself and wants to stay put. It is then marked as the outside of the relaxed curve.

Date: February 13, 2002 04:57PM

Tom,

So what you are telling me is that when rolling the blank the spine should be marked after the jump, not on the jump. Is that right? I have a few rods that I built using the balance point of the jump as the spine. Now that I think about it, when I cast the rod is most comfortable when I hold it at an angle, and I am also really comfortable casting side arm!

So, to locate the spine properly, I should bend the blank, roll it, and find the spot that it doesn't want to roll out of. I should then mark the blank on the outside of the curve. Where do I put the guides now? I am finding my whole rod building life to be a lie!

Hmmm......maybe this is a perfect opportunity to convince my wife that I need a whole bunch of new rods!

Any more advice would be greatly apprectiated.

BOB

Date: February 13, 2002 05:44PM

"So, to locate the spine properly, I should bend the blank, roll it, and find the spot that it doesn't want to roll out of. I should then mark the blank on the outside of the curve. "

Exactly. Now as far as where to locate the guides, what performance characteristics are you most interested in? There is not such thing as a wrong spine location, at least if stability is what you are after. All fly rods are 100% stable by the fact that the guides are on the bottom of the rod.

Some people feel an excellent overall position is to locate the guides ON the spine. Others who wish the greatest amount of power for fish fighting will locate the stiffest axis (that's where the blank jumps and is rarely on or opposite the spine) and locate the guides so that the fish pull against this axis. This is usually along the blank's natural concave bend.

I'd suggest taping the guides on and test casting in both positions and determining which works best for you. But I'd almost bet you will prefer the guides located on the effective spine.

Date: February 14, 2002 01:45PM

Tom,

Thanks for clearing things up. I rolled the tips of some of my fly rods last night and found that some are actually spined properly! I guess I got lucky a couple of times!

Bob Johnson

Posted by: Tom Smith (---.ne.mediaone.net)
Date: February 16, 2002 12:18PM

I too have been using the "balance point" where the rod jumps as the spine. I think so anyway. I roll the blank by hand, find the "jump", then balance it on the hardest point of the "jump". As I now understand it , this is the stiffest axis?
I just used three methods of finding the spine on a new blank 1)rolling - found nothing 2)horizontal spine finder - according to the above I located the "stiffest axis" 3)placing blank upright and pressing directly on the tip - "stiffest axis" previously marked was on the inside of the curve every time.
what's what? I know that this has been gone over and over, but the more information I get the more confused I get.
Thanks in advance, and thanks for a great site. I have learned more by reading the posts on this board for the last six weeks than in the two books on rodbuilding I have read (both informative and highly recommended on this site).

Tom

Date: February 16, 2002 03:24PM

Right, the spine will be the place where it doesn't jump - the place where it wants to roll to, and stay put. When it is in this position, the outside of the curve is the spine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster