I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Branding
Posted by: Rob Boughton (65.82.96.---)
Date: February 13, 2002 03:00PM

Does it give any blank manufacturers, who also offer their own line of rods, heartburn when you build a small business using their blanks. The reason I ask is that I'm finally turning a profit in my small rodmaking business using a variety of blanks for a variety of rods. I prebuild some, I custom build most, but when a rod is finished, it bears my logo and mine alone. I don't generally take requests for special blank brands nor do I make it a practice to indicate to my customers which blanks I use for which rods. I simply select what I consider the best in each class, build it right, and brand it under my own custom label (as most of us do).

As I become more successful in this industry (hypothetically), do you think I'll start having run-ins with manufacturers over this? Any caveats in this business of using multiple manufacturers that I need to be aware of?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Branding
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 03:23PM

well i cant see where your going to have a problem as long as you purchase the blanks and dont buy from a 5 finger discount broker ... other wise the blank would not be on the market for resale ...
most of the time remember you are buying blanks that the maunfactor has , do to an over run or no longer offered end product as long as u do not scrape off the "logo" i see no problem as i do the same thing you are doing just my pocket change worth ..John T Burford aka Tightline Rod's

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 03:58PM

Rob about the only problem I could for see if you are using first quality blanks would possibly be with a manufacturer wanting their decal on the rod most would accept the decal along with the rod not attached,and many want or need nothing but they better be first quality blanks not blems or seconds,this would end up with you having customer problems if they were unaware that you are using seconds,it still doesn't effect the manufacturer.
Re multiple manufacturers they all offer something different and the wise builder will select what they or their customer if they have a preference would be best to do the job.I think developing a good working relationship with vendors to be far more important.
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 04:07PM

No, the companies you are buying blanks from want you to do just that - buy blanks from them. They should be smart enough to realize that they can't get all the business, but through the efforts of custom rod builders, they might be able to at least get a piece of a bit more business.

Most manufacturers have no problem with a warranty on such rods, built under your own label (I did it for 20 years) but you do need to keep the Mfgs. label or decal and include it should ever have to send a blank back for replacement.

It is doubtful that you'll ever sell enough rods to really compete with the very firms you are buying blanks from. And the more you sell, the more they sell.

One more thing
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 04:14PM

Rob,

You need to speak with your insurance agent concerning liability coverage. It has been my experience that as long as you leave the blank maker's name, logo, etc., on the blank then the liability coverage they carry on their product is intact and extends to the end user. (Provided you have not modified the blank beyone the normal process required to turn it into a fishing rod - i.e., adding grip, seat and guides.)

However, if you put your name or company name on the the rod, exclusively, you could become the one liable in the result of injury incurred in the event of an accident where the rod is somehow defective and somehow manages to injure the user. This seems to be the case in at least some states.

I have gotten different answers on this and you would be wise to consult your insurance company for more info.

Re: One more thing
Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 06:32PM

I usually put the decal in the butt end of rod.. Had no problems yet.. A lot of my customers want the decal on blank.. I persoanlly think this should be left up to the customer.. Thanks Dave's Rods

Posted by: Rob Boughton (65.82.96.---)
Date: February 14, 2002 10:58AM

The potential liability Tom mentioned never crossed my mind. We live in a sue-happy world and I'll have to start dotting my i's and crossing my t's as business increases. I personally never plan on placing blank manufacturer's logos on my rods, but I'll continue saving them in my rod record. I noticed Sage and a few other companies prints their logo on the rod--not sure how to handle that. I gather they would take it personally if removed. Thanks for your responses.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2002 11:12AM

Rob incorporating a business helps but as to what Tom mentioned regarding lialibility are the type of questions that help make attorneys wealthy
John

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster