I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thanks Ralph O'Quinn
Posted by: Chris Tan (---.jaring.my)
Date: February 13, 2002 06:08AM

Ralph wrote an article last year in RodMaker about how to make multi-piece rods. Just want to thank him publicly for writing it. I successfully built a multi-piece casting rod from the article and now with his assistance have just completed a 2 piece stand-up fast taper #30 rod.

Thanks again Ralph and thanks Tom for publishing such articles.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thanks Ralph O'Quinn
Posted by: Tom Juster (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 10:35AM

Chris,
I've been waveringon whether or not I want to try it myself. Where did you get the material for the ferrules?

Date: February 13, 2002 08:33PM

My wife calls me a collector of junk. I've been collecting broken rods I've seen discarded in the fishing "fields". So for my casting rods I can use that.

For the standup rod, because it has a fast taper it was tough to find a right ferrule. I went around to two tackle/rod building and "borrowed" all the stuff to see which would fit. None did. I almost gave up and considered the option of buying another brand new standup blank to make into a ferrule.

However I ended up using 2 cut off butts. A smaller one I bored the internal I.D. to the correct taper (not at all easy), then I sanded down the outside to fit into a larger cutoff butt blank. And I had my ferrule.

This took almost 8 hours work, including the messing around. I've another 50# standup to do and it should take about 4+hours as I now know exactly what to do.

The hardest part is cutting up the perfectly good blank. It hurts, till you assemble the ferrule.

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 04:53AM

What is the point in making a short stand up rod into a two peice?

Stuart

Date: February 14, 2002 09:07AM

It becomes 3 feet instead of 5'6". I thought that was obvious.

I hate lugging a 6 foot tube through the airport. And getting it in vehicles etc.

If I'm going for a dedicated long range fishing trip I don't mind. But I do a lot of casual off beat fishing in between jobs where fishing might be a maybe, so I prefer the ease of a short tube.

Same reason why I prefer 4 piece fly rods over 2 piece.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 09:50AM

With the new airline restrictions we are under, multi-piece rods will be more valued than ever. Most of these rods will have to be checked, so if you can get it inside a suitcase, so much the better. Stand alone rod tubes remain a target for theft.

Chris - I am sure we will all be interested to hear how your rod performs. Ferrule making is one of the hardest and most demanding aspects of custom rod building.

Date: February 15, 2002 08:01AM

Tom, today I taped on the guides (spiral system) and in the testing of this 30# (or 25#) class rod. I've been lifting 17.5lbs of weight plates up to 45 from horizontal to test the guide placing (Done this about 20 times) and the ferrule. This is way above the drag setting I'd normally fish. For 30# I'd normally set the strike to 8-10max. No problem with the ferrule. No creaks or cracking. Feels as solid as rock. I feel I could push it past 20# if need be.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 15, 2002 10:25AM

Then you've obviously done a great job! Making ferrules, as you are now aware, is painstaking work.

For the record, Fisher used to make a 50lb class trolling rod in 4 - pieces for the traveling angler. I sometimes remind people of this when they talk about multi-piece rods being "weak".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster