I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

applying finish to blank?
Posted by: Mike Centinaro (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 06:13PM

Does anyone have any tips or tricks for getting an even layer of finish on the blank when coating a longer distance than the guides. For example when coating over decorative wraps or over decals near the handle? I tried this for the first time and it did not come out perfectly even accross the finish.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: applying finish to blank?
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 09:36PM

Most of what I have read says to brush this area lengthwise rather than just 'around' the blank. Seems to draw the finish out smoother this way.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 11:06PM

That is good advice. After applying finish to guides I make up a new batch of finish for the decorative wrap.

Hugh Miller

Posted by: Harold Tanner (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 04:55AM

I use a brush slightly wider than normal, apply finish kind of heavy on the end and pull the finish left to right across the area to be covered with many nice smooth strokes as the rod rotates. If I overun the area I just wipe it off with a paper towel soaked in alcohol while still rotating. Getting a nice flat area is easy if you go ahead and brush it past the area and then wipe off the excess. If you try and stop it at a certain place it will tend to pile up there leaving a thick place. Constant slow even strokes with a soft brush will also eliminate any small bubbles. A fast stroke will leave bubbles sometimes.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Chuck Tanner (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 13, 2002 08:00AM

Try a little heat after you apply the finish,then use your brush to level it as it runs to the bottom of the blank.

Posted by: Scott Goad (---.pm3-1-ark.kcisp.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 09:12PM

Mike,
I have realized a couple of tricks to applying finish to an area on a rod such as the handle. I usually start about an inch and a half from either end of the grips, and gradually work the finish up to the grips with a brush, making sure the finish feeds up on to the grips just slightly. Than stopping the rod rotation, I freely apply the finish from on grip to the other. Turning the rod 180 and repeat, make sure you do this quickly or you'll have a mess on your hands.
After doing this, I return the rod rotation and begin leveling the finish with a thin strip of plastic (spatula, old credit card, or something of that nature), working from the center outwards. You can add more finish as needed, just dip the plastic. Once I have done that, I reverse the rod rotation and repeat, making sure the finish is worked up to any edges that may be there, such as labels.
Once done, I apply heat to remove any bubbles and level the finish.

Give it a try, it may work for you....I'm pleased with the results.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster