I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flexcoat Speedwrap 2
Posted by: Brian Patterson (---.coatsv01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2002 06:08PM

I am thinking about getting a flexcoat speed wrapper 2, is this worth the money and will it last?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flexcoat Speedwrap 2
Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 10:13PM

They make good stuff. Don't expect it to be as versatile as the more expensive lathes talked about here though. As a hand wrapper, it would be very good. Flex Coat's motorized units are not gear reduced and thus speed control is very tricky.

Posted by: Justin Hansen (---.DATANET.NYU.EDU)
Date: February 13, 2002 01:51AM

I recently purchased the Pac Bay wrapper and believe that it is worth what you pay. I am sorry that I didn't spend the extras money to buy the Clemens base unit as I believe it would be worth it for the quality upgrade, but the one I got is still a good unit. I wouldn't recommend the Flexcoat power wrappers for the same reason as stated above and that wood just doesn't seem to be worth the money. For the same amount or maybe a little more you can get an aluminum base and better supports. I know that it is not necessary to have the tolerances of aluminum for rod wrapping, I just believe that the unit is more durable. Tight Lines.

Posted by: Brian Patterson (---.coatsv01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 07:52PM

I am thinking about the un-powered one, so is it a good buy?

Posted by: Bill Doherty (---.rdu.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 13, 2002 10:16PM

Brian,

I can't tell you if it is a good buy for you, I do not know what you are using now. For it's intended purpose the Speed Wrapper 2 works just fine. If you are not ready to spend big bucks on a lathe, the Flex Coat wrappers will work for wrapping. They have the same thread tensioner as the Pac Bay mentioned above. If you are new to rod building, there is no reason at all to buy a top dollar lathe right now. Good luck with your building.

Bill Doherty

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 14, 2002 09:52AM

I would agree. For hand wrapping it is an excellent unit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster