I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Confusion with fuji sic guides
Posted by: Mike Grose (129.237.101.---)
Date: February 11, 2002 12:50PM

Hi guys,
This is truely the best rod building site out there! I have been reading posts for the past few weeks and am learning a great deal. Have a copy of Tom's book and have read it over a few times already. I have built a fiberglass flyrod a few years ago, but now have my sights set on a few graphite fly rods that I want to make. I'm looking into a 6 weight fast action rod with single foot SIC guides. I'm looking at the rainshadow xcel blank in the 3 or 4 piece model.

Seems to me that a double foot stipper guide would be very appropriate, since that guide will take more of a force with casting/strip striking. Would it look strange to have the two other stippers (if I need to add one 4 inches after the first to increase casting distance) that were single footed? What about size and frame types? I looked at mudhole and couldn't find fly sic guides from fuji. Do you go to spinning guides? Has anyone built a similar rod, what guides did you use and like?

I was re-evaluating my work on the first rod. According to Tom's method on placing the stripping guide it looks like its nearly 10 inches farther away than it should be! By placing the first guide closer, is this making the line cast more efficiently? Also looks like I wrapped way past the guide foots which only would add unnecessary weight.

Anyway, looking forward to getting started and hearing your suggestions.
Thanks,
Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Confusion with fuji sic guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 11, 2002 05:20PM

How long is your blank and how far behind the tip is your stripping guide? I could give you a rough idea whether or not it is too far up or back.

Double foot guides are built more to take the abuse fishermen give out than what is dished out when casting or fish fighting. Most guides are greatly overbuilt for the job they have to do. Whether or not something looks weird, or right, or strange has more to do with the eye of the beholder than any accepted standard. I would suggest allowing form to follow function.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: February 11, 2002 05:47PM

I used 2 high frame spinning guides as strippers on my 6 wt, followed by a spinning single foot to help the transition down to the SIC fly guides. I like the double stripper 3.5" apart setup on a 6 wt.

I think it went 12 mm double spinning, 12mm double spinning, 10mm spinning, 10mm fly, 8mm fly, and 7mm running to the 7mm top. At that phase, I thought that the high frame with the slightly smaller ring size did the job as well as a huge stripper. Actually, I still think so.

No, I do not see any particular reason not to use single foots all the way after the first stripper. I would just watch the heights and make sure it all sorta flows together.

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 12, 2002 12:34AM

Mike,

I built a 9 wt. with single foot strippers, using a 'double stripper' set up, and I've had no strength problems so far. I used the Fuji 'New Concept' Alconite guides on this rod, using the single foot spinning guides (two 16s and a 12) for the strippers, then down to a #8 spinning for the transition with #6 'fly' types on out. I ended up with twelve guides total, more than I thought I would need, but that's what the rod 'wanted' to perform. The rod casts like a rocket.

Fuji offers a single foot SIC 'fly' type guide in it's 'New Concept' line.

Good Luck!

Buddy

Posted by: Mike Grose (---.tnt1.topeka.ks.da.uu.net)
Date: February 12, 2002 01:46AM

Thanks for the help guys.
Tom, my stipper on the fiberglass rod is fully 32 inches from the butt, on a 8 and a half foot rod (7 weight). For guide placement, I just used a formula that someone had photocopied for me. I now realize the the value of the "control" stripper four inches to the tip to help tame the line and the placement of the first about 1-2 inches from the point of the stripping hand placement. This next rod will be test casted extensively before anything gets wrapped down!

I want to build a 9 foot graphite, probably rainshowdow 3 or 4 piece. What would your guide size and order be? I noticed that the alconite tips only fit a size 5 tip, my blank would be a 4.5. Do I need thread wraps to make up this difference if I stick with the alconite top???

This begs another question though. If the stripper gets moved closer to the butt, to which end do I add the extra guides (ie, more 6s at the tip or addition strippers or transitions guides, or both)?

It sounds like with single-foot guides, I could add 1 or 2 that wouldn't add much more weight than traditional snake guides.

If I used alconite guides but replaced the tip top and the stripper with a SIC ring, would that make any difference since those guides take the sharpest angles? Maybe it doesn't make a noticable difference. Just a thought.

Mike

Mike

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 12, 2002 10:04AM

On my 8'6" fly rods my stripping guide seems to fall about 30 inches from the butt. On the 9' rods, it falls about 32 inches. I normally use high frame spinning type guides (SVSG) for my stripping guide. This gets the line farther off the blank to reduce any slap and I can get by with a smaller ring to the same job as the larger ringed casting type stripping guide.

The best rule of thumb is to hold the rod in your casting arm with your upper and lower arms at 90 degrees to each other. With your other arm/hand reach up to the rod as if you were going to pick up the line to strip. Don't overreach, just move up to the rod in a comfortable manner. Locate your stripping guide about an inch or so ahead of that and most times you'll be about right.

The alconites are great guides. They do make tops in several sizes and one of them will fit your rod. When the blank tip falls inbetween, I use the next larger size top and shim with my thread trim wrap.

Under full load, there is almost no pressure on the tip most guides and tip top - the pressure is on the butt guides as that is where the load is concentrated. The tip, being less powerful, flattens out. In theory, the SIC is the better choice for all guides as it has a higher level of polish and hardness. I believe it and use them when cost is not an option. But the alconites are the first guide to offer us near SIC performance at about the cost of most aluminum oxide guides. I like them and have used them on several rods now. I have no complaints and see little on-the-water difference between them and SIC, so far.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster