I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

solid glass rods
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt2.ewr3.da.uu.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 04:20PM

Hi guys; I got several solid glass saltwater rods from a friend. These are the ones with the 15" wood handles, steel chromed seat that connects the blank with the handle. Seats and guides are shot. Can the blanks be extended ( weigh a ton ) and used for any type of rod?? or just good reamer material?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: solid glass rods
Posted by: Neal Cissel (---.phndaz91.covad.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 06:14PM

Hi Bill,
You can extend any rod blank but using another blank. But you need to see if these blanks have a set in them as I have seen alot of these have a set bend from fighting fish. If they do then use them for reamers of the straight sections I use for making Male ferrules. Yes they are heavy in weight. I hope this gives you some idea to use these blanks for?

Best Regards,
Neal Cissel
Neal's Fishing Products
www.nealsfishingtackle.com

Posted by: Steven Daley (---.frsrc101.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 07:17PM

the only use for em other than reamers or repair peices are up here in the metro Detroit area of michigan, some people use SHORT stiff solid glass rods (cut down boat rods for the most part) for a method of walleye fishing called whipping.

steve

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt5.ewr3.da.uu.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 07:58PM

The blanks are straight. I have a lot of spare blanks to extend but balance would be ( a lot of weight ). If I used say Hypalon for the handles. Was thinking of making them ( through the handle ) construction of a heavy boat rod. The one blank is only 52 in long. maybe strong enought if I put the handle on the splice?

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.84.0.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 25, 2004 11:15PM

Bill,
What size/specs are the other ones and what are you looking at using them for?

Also, if you would be interested in making a couple bucks, I might be interested in one for a heavy, river cat rod.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt5.ewr3.da.uu.net)
Date: June 26, 2004 09:54AM

Mike; I just found one that is 6' 1" What I wanted to do was build a heavy salt boat rod for a friend. He was talking about going for shark and did mention short rods. Blanks are straight, and I checked prices on complete rods- cheap enough. Puppys are old and come apart with hot water easy. Thinking of setting one up for a casting reel with spiral wrap. Hypalon handles and foregrip, with heavy graphite casting seat. I am not a saltwater man so I was looking for some advice. Figured I could at least get parts out of it. The tip on one is about 1/4 in butt about 17/32 in

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.245.72.36.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: June 26, 2004 10:48AM

Sounds like they would make a good shark rod, and be nearly indestructible but my knowledge of salt rods is from books and handling them. Closest I come to making salt gear is musky and heavy cat rods. I would think that you would just scale everything up, like you have planned.

Sounds like a fun project though!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster