I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal base coat
Posted by: Marc Wisniewski (---.216-170.unk.tds.net)
Date: June 24, 2004 10:54AM

Decal connection recommends that you put down an epoxy base for their decal. Is there anything else that will work? I see this adding an extra step and an extra day to the finishing process. Thanks.
Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal base coat
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.tnt1.ewr3.da.uu.net)
Date: June 24, 2004 11:31AM

You got to put several coats of clear on the butt wraps so if the space is near that just give that space a coat also.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 24, 2004 11:46AM

Maybe something to experiment with; I'm new to the waterslide decal-I've only done it twice, so far. Both times I used Ralph O'Quinn's ideas on preparing a bare graphite unfinished blank and applied the decal directly to the bare, prepared blank. Both times after the finish was dry, the decal appears beautiful and perfect to my eyes under a magnifying glass.
I was willing to strip it back down and redo it in both cases if it didn't work. If I'm in a tough time frame, I'm not going to take this chance.

I also, in both cases, applied the finish within one hour of applying the decal. I know Jimi says to wait 24 hours, but I was willing to experiment again. And again, if I have to get the rod out on a time frame, I don't think that I'd be willing to take this chance. Not until I've done this with no problems a lot more than the two times that I've gotten away with it so far.

Putter

Date: June 24, 2004 12:00PM

I have a picture posted of the first one I did if you'd like to look. Its titled Shikari/Prodigy Project Done.

Posted by: John Britt (---.9-67.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: June 24, 2004 12:03PM

Reason for first coat of finish over matte blanks. The clear portion of the decal will act as a mask over the covered portion of the blank, if finish is applied over a decal that is laid directly on a matte blank the portion not covered will have a gloss coat, the part under the decal, will show the matte finish, it is no different then taking a piece of masking tape and placing it on a matte blank and apply finish over it-the part where the tape is if it is removed will be matte the rest gloss, I imagine it might not show up as a drastic difference in all cases but it will more often then not
John

Re: Decal application
Posted by: Harv Gorton (---.ia3.marketscore.com)
Date: June 24, 2004 12:50PM

I will offer a tip...I've printed decals on various papers & found that if I use 'decal setting solution' & 'decal softening solution' from Micro -Mark...all papers disappear wonderfully.
I have not tried this stuff directly on a matte finish,as I have always put a base coat down first.......also......would a coat of CP-811 'seal' the matte finish ??? I haven't tried that yet,either.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.160.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 24, 2004 01:17PM

It's possible to put them directly on the blank and have them look extremely nice with no edges showing. Don't think you absolutely have to put down a base coat of epoxy.

Date: June 24, 2004 02:03PM

I agree, Tom, and the picture that I talked about will show this. It is just as glossy looking under the decal as it is around it. I don't understand why, but it works.

Putter

Posted by: Mack Summers (---.firstam.com)
Date: June 24, 2004 03:18PM

Comming from a scale modlers perspective, you should apply the decal over a glossy surface. The reason is that on a mat (rough) surface tiny microscopic bubbles can form due to air trapped beneath the decal and create a frosted look. If you apply the decal over a glossy surface there is less chance of the microscopic bubbles forming and the decal will set better.

-Mack

Posted by: Mike Barkley (136.181.195.---)
Date: June 24, 2004 03:42PM

I don't think that you need it on a glossy blank but on a matte blank you do because when you put the finish over the decal area, the area under the decal would still be matte since the finish won't be under the decal but all around it, wouldn't it?
Mike

Date: June 24, 2004 05:29PM

On a matte blank, I followed Ralph O'Quinn's surface prep article in the library, put the decals on the bare matte blank twice, and under the decal (picture mentioned above shows this), it appears (even under a magnifying lens) perfect to me. Its just as glossy under the decal as off to the sides of it.
Again, I don't understand how, but it works for me.

Putter

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster