I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Polymer turned cloudy when dunked
Posted by: Michael Sigge (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: June 19, 2004 10:51PM

A friend's fly rod ended up in the lake for about 1/2 hour or more. All the polymer covering the thread wraps and the manufacturer's label (Sage) now has a cloudy white white appearance.

We are wondering what this substance is, and how to remove it. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Polymer turned cloudy when dunked
Posted by: Phil Traynor (---.consolidated.net)
Date: June 19, 2004 11:12PM

An expert will probably chime in but I would guess that it is similar to the white color that appears in the wax on a hardwood floor when water is not wiped up quickly or the white ring that occurs when you do not use a coaster on your coffee table. If this is the case it will dissipate in time. Again, one of the pros will most likely know better. I am sorry but you had to know someone was going to ask, how did this happen?
Phil

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 04:35AM

Now has a finish ever been put on this rod other than a factory finish?
If this a factory rod it is a manufacyory defect.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.clec.atlnga.commercial.madisonriver.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 09:53AM

Sage, uses Flex-Coat, and I have never heard of anything like this w/ Flex-Coat. John Butterfield

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.217.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 10:07AM

Set it in a warm area and it should clear up over time. It's not defective - rods are not meant to be submerged for lengthy periods of time.

Posted by: Lou Reyna (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 11:01AM

I have seen this happen to finished areas exposed to rain, splashed with water for lengthy periods, etc. It goes away after the rods dry for some time. Don't know what causes this, I do not believe the finish is hydroscopic, and am fairly certain it does not contain any waxes/oils.

Lou

Posted by: David Henney (---.ks.ok.cox.net)
Date: June 20, 2004 02:53PM

I have seen this on other rods and my opinion I think the finish has not cured all the way. I have seen this on 3 different factory rods. One rod this affected the finish of whole rod, the others it was just the wraps. All three rods were made by top of the line companys. I have also had this happen on buttwraps and i traced it to the CP not being totaly dry when i applied the finish.
If this is a Factory rod send it back to Sage. Thanks dave

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 20, 2004 07:47PM

The only time that I saw this was when I hooked and brought up a factory rod with a reel on it. The finish was all clouded up; really ugly. It was a low line rod and reel and I just tossed it when I got home so I can't say if it clears up or not.

Putter

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 20, 2004 09:27PM

I don't think you can ask the manufacturer for a replacement if the rod has been underwater for a period of time. As was said I don't think they're made to take that sort of thing. I've seen this milky white discoloration on many rods that have been dunked or stored where they could get rained on for many days at a time. As far as I can tell they all clear up when placed in the sunlight for several hours.

Are our epoxy rod finishes really waterproof? I don't think so. I thought I heard Ralph O'Quinn say one time that moisture will degrade and destroy epoxy over time.

Posted by: Michael Sigge (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: June 21, 2004 02:58AM

Very interesting information, people. Thanks very much.

The most surprising thing to me is the idea that epoxy is not able to handle water without undergoing some sort of change. I've always thought of epoxy as sort of invincible!

The cloudiness on the polymer sure makes that expensive factory Sage look like a piece of junk!

I'll tell my friend to try leaving it out in the sunshine for awhile.

Thanks again....this is a great forum!

Posted by: Charlie Burris (---.242.198.41.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 22, 2004 06:16AM

HMMM.......
Were there any birds flying overhead?.....I have had this happen to my windshield on several occasions... :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster