I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2 new online library articles
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.217.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 04:57PM

The latest articles are up -

Blank Refinishing

Surface Preparation

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2 new online library articles
Posted by: Johnathan Sams (---.65-104.adsl.ij.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 05:06PM

GREAT article on surface preperation!!!!!!!! How did I miss this in the magazine? What issue did it run in? I know you covered it in one of your own articles but I had not seen this one. Really very, very, very good. I'm impressed.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.217.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 05:11PM

I will add one thing to Ralph's excellent article and it has to do with why very fine abrasives have to be utilized in order to easily create a water break free surface.

Coarse abrasives actually require more work to create the WBF surface. The abrasive particles are larger and farther apart and you actually disturb less surface as you work than you do with a finer abrasive. True, you create deeper scrapes and gouges, but these won't create the surface that we're after if we want the best bond. The idea is to abrade or scour more of the surface, not to do so more deeply.

For this reason, the finer grades of Scotchbrite and sandpaper (if you must) are better suited to the task.

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 07:25PM

Excellent information as always.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 07:34PM

Hi Ralph.
I just finished reading both your articles in the library.
I have to say I was very impressed with both. My knowledge in this crucial area I now realise was poor and based on misconceptions. This really is a very valuable two pieces of work.
Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Mike Oliver

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 07:52PM

Another reason why RodMaker mag is so highly valued by the builders here in the States Mike. You know that you can trust the info they present.

Posted by: Ronnie Apple (---.wave-net.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 07:55PM

Ralph, that was great information on both topics. I see lot's of post on refinishing rod blanks and you did a tremendous job of presenting how to do it the proper way. Thanks. Ronnie...

Posted by: John Butterfield (---.gulftel.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 08:20PM

Since reading these, I am even dumber than I thought I was. Before getting into this site, I thought I knew rodbuilding pretty well. The longer I stay with it, the dumber I get. This may not be good for my self esteem. John Butterfield

Posted by: Aurthur Mercer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 08:26PM

You don't have to tell anyone! Just do what I do ~ read the articles and then pretend you knew it all along.

Posted by: Kevin Malpass (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 08:40PM

If it's true then its contrary to a lot of what I was taught about bonding things in rod building. I'm not doubting it but just thinking we might all be using some old myths in our rod building without really knowing it.

Posted by: Ricky Wilson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 10:15PM

The fact is that a lot of what people do in rod building is based on long standing myths. I think this site has helped crack more than a few of those.

Posted by: Mike Naylor (---.state.md.us)
Date: June 17, 2004 01:42PM

Thanks Tom for this series of articles. It is very generous of you to do this.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster