I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rubberized Cork / Gasket Material
Posted by: Christian Brink (---.dsl.aracnet.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 01:52PM

I have called several local auto parts stores, and they seem to sell rubberized cork is 1/8" thick sheets. I would really like to work with something thicker 1/2" would be best but even 1/4" will do.

Do most auto parts stores have what I am looking for, but I'm asking for the wrong thing when I call?

or should I look for someplace else for thicker pieces of rubberized cork (I have not noticed anything other than RC rings or tape at my normal suppliers)?

or do I glue sheets together?

Right now I am using tapered plug cutters on 1 1/2" rubberized cork rings to make tapered plugs but it's a pain. I can only get a few out of a ring.

Christian

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rubberized Cork / Gasket Material
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.z065105148.sat-tx.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 02:25PM

Christian,
Find yourself a gasket supply shop, they'll have the thicker pieces you're looking for. I got a bunch for free in the scrap pile out back of the shop one time!

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: James M. Martin (---.dsl.yntwoh.ameritech.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 02:28PM

Christian,

My father works for a auto parts wholesaler and a couple months ago I asked him to get me some rubberized gasket material. The only thing he could come up with was a gasket kit assortment containing various materials. The thickest sheet of rubberized cork was only 1/8th". I appears that not many people make thier own gaskets now a days so auto parts stores don't have the variety of gasket material they used to. You might have to go to a shop that specializes in gasket making to find what you're looking for ready made. I read a while back that radiator repair shops may be a good place to look.

However, there is no reason you can't glue together thin sheets to get the thickness you need. Gasket material is a composite anyway so when you glue the sheets together, if done right, you'll never be able to tell it's not one piece. That's how I do it.

James

Posted by: Philip Ptak (208.48.56.---)
Date: June 16, 2004 03:32PM

Check with McMaster-Carr. They have what you want. It comes in fairly large sheets. It may seem a little pricey (based on what you get when you buy it at the auto parts store), but when you do the math, it is about the right price for the amount you get. Comes in numerous thicknesses and types.

Phil Ptak

Posted by: Greg DeFoe (---.customer.alter.net)
Date: June 16, 2004 04:29PM

The rubberized cork available from McMaster Carr (www.mcmastercarr.com) is a little lighter in color than the rubberized cork rings I usually buy but it is still ok. Comes in various size sheets up to 1/2" thick..

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.mynetrocks.com)
Date: June 16, 2004 09:27PM

Philip and Greg, thanks for the tip re: McMaster Carr.

Like Christain, I was unable to find rubberized cork thicker than 1/8 inch. Ended up buying a gasket cutter set from Grizzly (Model H3329 - $15.95) and gluing up to thicknesses required using a standard cork clamp. Then they're treated as regular cork rings, i.e, drilling to fit a particular mandrel, etc. The gasket set comes with 12 dies, ranging from 1/4 inch thru 1 1/2 inch.

Thanks,

Stan

Posted by: Charlie Burris (---.242.198.41.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: June 22, 2004 06:29AM

You can either not buy cork with holes in it...I havn't yet and have had no problems whatsoever, or you can contact someone like this:

[www.allstategasket.com]

I hope it works out...these guys can get it done...I am having some custom rubberized stuff done through them.

Charlie

Posted by: Robin Schleien (---.carlson.com)
Date: June 22, 2004 08:22PM

Hello all -

I've found a number of suppliers of composite cork in various thicknesses, colors an durometers (hardness). I understand why it's been so difficult as you have to buy in larger volumes and these are the original manufacturers (... many who supply the auto-shops) mentioned in this thread.

As I don't imagine too many people wish to buy the bulk required, I would be prepared to purchase a variety of the above. I've also researched an individual in my neck of the woods who would create a die to punch out 1.25" rings with a .25 (or larger) hole in the center.

Is anyone interested in buying these if I can supply at a reasonable price?

Robin S - Onari Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster