I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sharpening lathe tools
Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dialup.sprint-canada.net)
Date: June 09, 2004 12:38PM

Up until now I have been attempting to sharpen spindle gouges etc. by hand, but find it extremely difficult to consistently maintain the "finger nail" profile of these gouges.
Several sharpening jigs are available commercially for use on grinders.
Advice / recommendations regarding grinders (stone grit etc.) and jigs that are most suitable for this purpose would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Eden

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sharpening lathe tools
Posted by: Scott Beard (69.67.24.---)
Date: June 09, 2004 01:02PM

I freehand it, so I can not give jig advice....but I did just see a couple of neat devices at the Penn State sight, here is the link.
[www.pennstateind.com]

Posted by: Scott Olex (---.alltel.com)
Date: June 09, 2004 01:04PM

Eden,

I use the Wolverine vari-grind jig to grind to produce the fingernail. I also use the vari-grind jig to maintain the angle to put a final edge on the gouge with sandpaper mounted to a piece of glass or to freshen an edge that doesn’t need grinding. That’s just my method and I’m sure there are better.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.174.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 09, 2004 01:28PM

If cost is no object, the Tormek is your tool. It's a round wheel, so you get a hollow grind, if that's okay. It's a heck of a tool.

Or you can use any of the various other wet type wheel grinders. I have a delta that's pretty good.

Or, fall back on the old sanding paper on a wheel disc chucked into your lathe. It works pretty well, but won't put a really clean edge on the tools. Thus you have to sharpen more often.

Sharpening tools is an art. Learn how to do it and you'll amazed at how much easier turning becomes. Nothing worse than a dull or at best, semi-sharp turning tool.

Posted by: Larry Tysinger (12.145.80.---)
Date: June 09, 2004 02:09PM

I have the Wolverine vari grind and a wheel I screw to the head of the lathe. I use 80 grit and 120 grit self sticking sandpaper discs on that wheel and it does pretty good. I seem to do better with the wheel then the Wolverine, but that's just my fault. The Wolverine is manufactured by Oneway and they recommend 54 grit and 80 grit wheels.

After I use either of the above methods, I make several passes on a DMT fine diamond stone (not really a stone).

The lathe wheel I have came from Penn State Industries and is a piece of six inch round plastic with a hole to fit my lathe without the check. A not to fit the head stock hold it on the lathe. You just stick the sandpaper on and move your tool rest to get the proper angle. Simple but it works pretty good.

Larry Tysinger

Posted by: Ray Jorgensen (---.pionet.net)
Date: June 09, 2004 03:17PM

My method is similar to what Larry described, but as Tom said I do need to sharpen more often.

I've seen the tool Tom talks of and I would love to have one. I've never really looked at others, but I may have to investigate the Delta.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.z065105148.sat-tx.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: June 09, 2004 06:05PM

Eden,
Do yourself a favor and buy the video "Bowl Turning with Del Stubbs" It contains an excellent section on sharpening free hand, probably the best I have ever seen.

Andy Dear
Lamar Reel Seats

Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dialup.sprint-canada.net)
Date: June 09, 2004 06:47PM

Many thanks to all for the most helpful suggestions / recommendations.
I will have to look into this some more.
As Tom says, there is nothing worse than using dull lathe tools or using those with an incorrectly ground bevel edge!
Eden

Posted by: Shawn Hawkins (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: June 09, 2004 10:14PM

It's called a sharpening slip and years of practice. Sharpening tools is an art form unto itself.

Posted by: Travis Thompson (64.73.42.---)
Date: June 09, 2004 11:46PM

Like everything else I use a dremel tool. Gets the job done and I didnt have to buy a expesive grinder. Bonus

Posted by: Bob Hughes (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2004 09:33AM

Eden, I found that Harbor Freight has a wet grinding wheel grinder that runs slowly, and a high speed wheel on the other side. I believe I got it for around $50. It in conjunction with one of the jigs mentioned above should get you where you want to be.

If you can weld, you might take a look at the jigs, and build your own for less money, but will spend some time doing it.

Bob

Posted by: Darrell Lapointe (---.nb.aliant.net)
Date: June 10, 2004 09:42AM

I've been playing with my lathe for about a year now and it I'm still not great at sharpening. But evrery now and then I get it right and man there is nothing like a REALY sharp tool.

Preparing guide feet
Posted by: Dan Walton (---.dsl.static.sonic.net)
Date: February 16, 2005 08:40PM

Would there be a problem using a Tormek grinder for preparing guide feet?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster