I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Standup reelseat position
Posted by: Chris Tan (---.jaring.my)
Date: February 08, 2002 06:32AM

Building 2 standup rods, 5'6", fast taper, one in the 30# and the other 50#. I'd like some opinions on 2 things.

1) the length of the bottom grip (gimbal not included). I'm 5'8" tall and use both gimbal belts just above the groin and also drop down. Would there be a length that would be compatible for both types of gimbal belt positions?

My current 30# is about 7" lower grip (the reelseat is downlocking) and I find it just nice for the belly gimbal belt. I also use a 80# that is about 9" and the reel seat is uplocking. That is to long for a belly gimbal and I find it just nice for a drop down gimbal on the thighs.

Wondered if I make the latest 2 at 8" and uplock or down lock, assuming I can still use the belly gimbal comfortably, would it still be effective for a drop down?

2) Simple question. Should it be up locking reel seat or down locking, and why?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Standup reelseat position
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 08:49AM

You will have to mount your seat in the direction that allows you to get the rear grip length you need. Working with the available componentry, one position or the other will allow you to get the length you need. I normally mount mine downlocking, but will go the other way if I need to do so to allow for greater rear rod length with available components. If you are using the rod in any sort of rod holder, make sure you allow enough length so that the rod holder will engage the gimbal nock on the rod. If the reel bottoms out first, you may want to mount the seat in the opposite direction to get an extra inch or so in the holder.

Also consider the forward reel clamp and if you need the seat downlocking soas to have that bit of barrel to use the forward clamp on. If you still wish to mount it uplocking, you can fit a block between the seat and grip for the clamp to reside on.

Rear grip length should be set so that the angler can easily and comfortably use the reel in the fishing position. It sounds like you are going to have to use an "in-between" length if you will be working on two different height fighting harnesses.

We are working on a full in-depth article on stand-up rods which will run in RodMaker sometime this year.

Date: February 08, 2002 09:15AM

Hi Tom, thanks for the reply. You mentioned forward reel clamp. None of the new reels use that if I recall, just the older models, much older. Is that right?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 09:48AM

Size rather than age might have more to do with whether or not the reel has a forward clamp. But if you know that what you going to be using will not have such a thing you can cross that off your list.

Using a reel with a forward clamp directly on the foregrip does not work very well - it is hard to ever get it tightened securely and it destroys the grip in short order. I usually make a place for such a clamp to be used as I really never know what the customer may, in time, decide to put on the rod!

Again, if this is for you and you know you won't be using one then it is not a consideration.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.170.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 08, 2002 05:26PM

Chris, why do you use 2 different gimbal belts? You could split the difference and make them both 8".

Also, are you going to put the rod in a rod holder? If so, I would stay away from anything other than a Slick Butt or Unibutt. Foam and other compressible materials don't come out of a rod holder easily under a load.

Date: February 08, 2002 07:33PM

Tom, thanks for the valuable input.

Mike, well 2 different gimbal belts because I put different loads on. the 30# max I fish with is 10lbs drag, maybe a tad more. I can fish without a kidney harness, or with one. Also easier to walk around with the lower belly gimbal belt.

the 50# I'll be using 16lbs to 23lbs of drag and there is no way I can apply that sort of pressure with the smaller gimbal belt. I definitely need a drop down thigh belt for that.

Been thinking earlier, I'll probably go with a similar set up to what I've already got. A short butt for the 30# and a longer one for the 50#. But first I'm going to check out the current short one on the drop down belt and see if it is still comfortable and effective fishing it like that. If it is I'll make the 50# shorter too.

Sort of want to make the rod (especially the 50#, I'll definitely go short with the 30#) as gimbal friendly as possible to different set ups as not all charterboats might have drop downs.

Have considered slick butts, but haven't manage to get them here yet. Out of stock. My current stuff is using foam/hypalon and haven't had problems with those yet getting them out of the rod holder. Still looking/waiting for the tuff butt.

Say what is the opinion nowadays regarding hypalon vs EVA for the for the foregrip? My preference before was for the hypalon as it felt better to hang on to especially for a long fight. The little extra weight didn't make a difference for a trolling rod

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.WLDF.splitrock.net)
Date: December 23, 2002 09:26AM

The Stand-Up rod article, which is quite complete and in-depth and covers about everything imaginable for these type rods, is in the Volume 5 #6 issue of RodMaker. It's lengthy and text heavy, but I'm not aware of anywhere else that this rod type has been given this sort of in-depth treatment. Contributing to the article were Ian Miller, Mike Ballard and Tom Kohl, all excellent Stand-Up rod builders.

I like EVA, when I can find it in a suitable hardness. I do not like spongy grips, for anything. Think about the flocked grips too - they're the toughest and firmest you can get, but also the most expensive.

Grip length comes down to how you have fit the rod to the harness. Any grip that extends beyond your reach is worthless. If you can reach up high enough and end up grabbing the rod blank, you could have used a longer grip. It is important to match your grip length, fore and aft, and seat position, to the harness you are going to be using.

All this and ton more are thouroughly covered in the article.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster