I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How Many Coats of Finish...???
Posted by: Brendan O'Farrell (---.espanola.dyn.personainc.net)
Date: June 06, 2004 12:39PM

Hey fellas...

Just a poll to see how many coats you experts apply. I've been using 3 coats on pretty much everything I've built as per the tutulage of my teacher but recently I read an article and this guy (name escapes me now) says that 2 is more than enough.

Just curious to what your thoughts are...???

BTW, the diamond wrap worked out very well although it took me an hour to pop and make sure there were no air bubbles after the first coat...it looks dynamite!

Thanks again,

Brendan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Many Coats of Finish...???
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.146.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: June 06, 2004 12:45PM

That all depends on how great the depth or thickness of each application is. I use one.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 06, 2004 12:48PM

Also would depend on what you are using. LS regular, I usually need 2 LS High build would cover a broom stick in one with a beautiful coat (it can also be applied in thin coats). Different finishes have different viscosities

Mike

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.nwconx.net)
Date: June 06, 2004 03:42PM

Brendan,
With a High Build finish, you should be able to cover the wraps with one coat. Glass Coat is ideal for this purpose and great for butt wraps, though it may take another application of any finish if you have a build up of thread layers on some mutli threaded butt wraps.

Rich Garbowski

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: June 06, 2004 05:20PM

If I can't get a rod done in one coat, I goofed up.

Putter

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: June 06, 2004 07:04PM

All of my rods are done in one coat. I have never seen any need for more.

Gerald Mc

Posted by: Steve Daley (---.frsrc101.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2004 10:47PM

When I use a high build finish such as Flex Coat High build, one coat can acheive the depth and coating that I prefer. When using low build or very thin finishes, two to three coats get the effect I am wanting. On some threat art, it takes more than that even, but I put on SUPER thin coats at that point because I don't want it any deeper of a coating than needed (just personal preference I guess).

steve

Posted by: Mike Wong (---.client.comcast.net)
Date: June 06, 2004 11:07PM

How should I determine whether or not one coat is enough? I have been using two of LS Supreme just because the directions mention a second coat when using heavier threads. I am using size A.

Thanks Guys
Posted by: Brendan O'Farrell (---.espanola.dyn.personainc.net)
Date: June 07, 2004 07:47AM

Something to think about for sure...great replies, as always!

Posted by: Robert Box (---.waddell.com)
Date: June 07, 2004 03:15PM

Usually 2 coats with FC Lite, sometimes 3.

Wow...seeing all you with just one coat of highbuild makes me want to experiment. A great time saver.

RB

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: June 07, 2004 03:29PM

I use 1 coat of regular Flex Coat or 4-6 coats of Gudebrod 822 water-based 1 part rod varnish. Which one I choose depends on things like 1) If it's for me or someone else; and 2) how soon the rod needs to be done. I have begun finishing most of my personal rods in the Gudebrod because I am restless and often (especially in the winter) strip and rewrap a rod. The Gudebrod is easier to slice and clean off the blank.

Also, if you build a rod as a prototype/experimental rod, better to use less than more finish. That way, if you like the way it turned out, you can add a final coat later after all the testing is done. If you don't like the way it turned out, it'll be easier to strip and redo.

Just a couple things to consider from my perspective.

Posted by: Mike Oliver (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 08, 2004 12:37PM

Brendan,

With std high builds with practice you will find that one coat will do the job well.

It is not that difficult to gauge the amount of high build to slap on depending on whether it's a fly guide wrap or a fancy butt wrap.

I like one coat also for the reason that you are less likely to get fish eye problems and you lessen the number of opportunities for fine airbourne hairs to settle into your setting finish.

cheers
Mike Oliver

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster