I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Wrapper Machines
Posted by: Robert Nettles (---.rasserver.net)
Date: April 24, 2002 12:35PM

I need to speed up production and have been looking at power wrappers. I hit the archives to see what had been talked about. The opinions sound as split as democrats vs. the republicans.

I will be using 3 colors (max) so I don’t need an 88 spool rack, laser position system or a gps. I have never seen a wrapper in person. (except MC Hammer in the N.Y. airport) The only features I know about are what are in the product descriptions. Do you need some type of brake? Or does the tension from the thread stop the rod like when you hand turn? I think I’m looking for a striped down professional grade machine. If you have a wrapper please say more than “I have a … and love mine” Tell about a feature you like about it. Thanks in advance.

Robert

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Wrapper Machines
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: April 24, 2002 01:04PM

Robert,
A lot depends on what you are willing to spend. Power wrapping lathes vary from the cadillac version by Renzetti with outstanding ease of use and durability features and go down in price from there with the other brands.
I personally don't mind the Custom Power Wrap, but improvements with the thread tensioning devices would be welcome. As a power lathe for turning and bed support it's an excellent tool.
The Rodsmith from Pac Bay is an excellent entry level power wrap and will serve for a long time. Many are in use and many like these.
Basically all power wrap machines have features which will help you speed things up and have better alignments for ahcieving top rate results for your custom rods.

In a nutshell, if cost is not a factor, get a Renzetti. IF you want something decent with a motor and all you need to get started you would not be too disappointed with a Batson Power Wrap Machine or a Pacific Bay RodSmith, both are a similar price range and have parts readily available. Also don't overlook the Flex Coat Power Rod Wrapper with a basic support stand and at a good price point.

As to your question about tension. Most of the thread tensioning devices have a back tension that will hold your thread in place while you move away from the work area. Most have a variable foot operated speed control, and by most will allow the option of hand turning usually by disengaging from the chuck.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Power Wrapper Sale
Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: April 24, 2002 01:33PM

We have the Forecast (Batson Enetprises of Rainshadow fame) power wrapper on sale at an exceptional deal until May 31. This wrapper is identical to the Pacific Bay Rodsmith. For our customers in the USA these units ship UPS from our warehouse in Port Angeles, WA.

E-mail us for prices or call toll-free (1-877-303-9331).

Andy Snedden
Custom Rodbuilders Supplies
Victoria, BC

Re: Power Wrapper Sale
Posted by: James Mihm (---.gambrl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2002 03:53PM

Robert
I own the power wrapper sold by Dale Clemens which looks very much like the Renzetti. I purchased the basic unit and then a extra 4' bed extension, 4 spool thread charriage and an additional rod support for larger diameter blanks (salt water roller bar). I purchased it about 7 years ago so it was a bit cheaper but this machine is a real pleasure to use. The different size pullies allow for variable speeds along with the foot petal, the two different rod supports fit any blank size, the thread carriage has only four places for thread (more that enough for my work), and the thread tension device applies pressure to the side of the spool not to the actual thread. The thread carriage also had a small spring steel arm that will keep tension on the thread while turning backwards to correct mistakes. It will keep tension up to about 5 or so back truns. There is no brake. It stops turing quite quickly when you let off the foot petal due to the thread tension. You can hand turn while wraping without taking the belt off the pullies. I like the extra tension that turning the blank and the motor gives, it prevents backward motion.
I use this to wrap rods and it is very good for shaping cork and EVA foam grips when set to the highest speed. There are many other add-ons to this system but I have not found the need to purchase any of them, you might.
When looking at the current price this system is expensive but I feel that it is worth the price, it is very well built. I am sure it will be the only one that I will ever have to buy. My theory was to buy the right thing in the first place and not be concerened with upgrading later. I am glad I did.
You can check this on the Dale Clemens website listed under sponcors to the left. On the home page go to the downloadable catalog. It actually comes uip on line. The rod wrappers are on pages 65 -68.
Hope this opinion helps, Jim

Re: Power Wrapper Sale
Posted by: Jim Renda (64.246.4.---)
Date: April 30, 2002 10:43PM

Hi
I purchased a Pac-Bay Rodsmith about 7 or 8 years ago. It is a good wrapper for the price and for a beginner but, if I could do it again I would spend the extra money on a Renzetti or a Power Wrapper. The Rodsmith can turn cork and customgrip and it wraps the rods ok. I sure wish that it had a way to turn the rod backwards to fix wrapping mistakes. If I had a tool rest when I'm turning cork it would be nice. The Rodsmith does not have any way of upgrading for those things. Renzetti and Power Wrapper have those optionsand much,much more.
Hindsight always has its bitttersweet side.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster