I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question for Tom on Thread Fuzz
Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 02, 2005 09:24PM

Tom, I am about to wrap my second flyrod and noticed that in your book you really don't go into thread fuzz. I am using gudebrod Garnet and it seems to be quite fuzzy. I practice heating the wrap from the side but can't seem to get it all out. It seems that some thread colors may be fuzzier than others. Any thoughts? Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question for Tom on Thread Fuzz
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 02, 2005 10:11PM

Good thread isn't fuzzy at all. If the thread is fuzzed, only three possibilities exist - 1. You got a bad spool (this is rare). 2. Your thread tension hardware has a rough spot that is raising fuzz. 3. Your fingers are rough and as you guide the thread onto the rod you're raising the fuzz.

I probably have 500 spools of thread on my lathe bench right now. Not a single one of them has any fuzz on it that I'm aware of. At least it's a problem that I have never encountered, except for a single instance where the pigtail on my thread feed unit had gotten rough.

So, you can heat/flame the fuzz or get a new spool of thread. Or, check your hardware. As in many things, the best way to get rid of thread fuzz is to not have any to begin with.

Posted by: eric riggs (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 04:38AM

Well Here is my 2 cents.....
I recently got a spool of Gudebrode Garnet and found it to be "QUITE FUZZY" !
NOT my tension device (don't have one)- NOT my fingers- my fingers are smooth sooooo
I believe there ARE a number of bad spools of Gudbrode Garnet out there right now!
I've NEVER had the problem with any other colour thread.

I sometimes work with a colour forcasting (for cloths) company ,with dyers and many thread lots.
It's amazing how much dye stuffs differ from batch to batch....to get the reds to come out right ,they
sometimes have to dye mutiple times and this can adversly affect the texture of the thread.

I found that when using my fuzzy thread (yes i used it) -a thin coat of epoxy allowed to dry, and a quick flame over
before the second coat solved the problem!

Posted by: Galen Briese (134.129.79.---)
Date: June 03, 2005 09:55AM

I have also experienced the fuzzy thread on Gudebrod size A Garnet color. I bought several spools and have only used one, but I threw it away because of the thread fuzz. I pulled a lot of it off the spool, and checked it under the microscope at work, and it definitely has problems. When I had to go back and redo the wraps, after I flamed it, then put down a coat of LS supreme and it looked worse, I figured why keep using it if it is going to be inconsistent and cause problems. I have basically eliminated the color from my usage. I purchased the thread a few years back, and have not revisited the issue. good luck!

Posted by: Don Davis (---.ssa.gov)
Date: June 03, 2005 11:11AM

I have been laying down the fuzzies by putting on, then pressing in the undercoat with the flat of a plastic spatula knife while turning the rod by hand in one direction. Wipe the excess on a coffee filter. Works with a variety of finishes and contributes towards a more level finish.

Posted by: Domenic Federico (---.as0.wlgh.oh.core.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 12:15PM

I have a high dust/lint concentration where I put my rods together. There isn't a way to eliminate it, that is until I get my room off the new garage, so I have been forced in some cases to use a jeweler's file to grind down the lint spikes and such before the final coat. It mars the finish and makes it look like you'll never fix it, but soon as the next coat of finish is applied, it all but disappears!

My 2 Cents from a guy with lint issues and allergies.

LOL

Posted by: Jay Lancaster (12.174.137.---)
Date: June 03, 2005 01:20PM

Same problem with a Guedbrod size A spool of blue I recently purchased. I marked it 'fuzzy' and set it to the side in case I need a size A thread for purposes other than guide wrapping.

Jay

By the way, the thread coming off the spool is fuzzy. This has nothing to do with fingers or tension devises. You can magnify the spool or the thread as it comes off & see the fuzz sticking out. Just a bad spool...& looks like junk if you use it on guide wraps. Only spool I've ever had with this problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/03/2005 01:23PM by Jay Lancaster.

Posted by: Tony Luppino (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 01:56PM

With all these negative reports concerning the use of Gudebrod garnet and other Gudebrod colors, which I have also had fuzz problems with, can anyone recommend a thread that will work well?

Date: June 03, 2005 02:10PM

This is very odd. I have over a dozen and a half spools of Gudebrod Garnet and not a single one has the least bit of fuzz on it.

I think some of you guys should notify Gudebrod about the problem you're having so they can check their equipment and see if something isn't worn or grooved. Thread shouldn't be fuzzy. If it is, there's something wrong with it and it needs to be returned.

Posted by: Scott Kinney (---.nrockv01.md.comcast.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 04:04PM

I had the same issue with a Gudebrod 206 NCP about three weeks ago. I bought a new one and it worked fine, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't my setup.

Date: June 03, 2005 05:04PM

I know it's tough when you get a bad spool and you're all ready to wrap. It's a pain to send it back and wait on a replacement, but those bad spools do need to go back. Gudebrod needs to know if they're shipping bad spools.

Posted by: Tom Doyle (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: June 03, 2005 05:59PM

Ayear or so ago, someone who seemed to know said that thread that was fuzzy off-the-spool was due to too much tension on the thread in the manufacturing process, a quality control issue that should have been caught at the source. Ialso have received one fuzzy spool of Gudebrod, not Garnet.

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.pdx.or.uspops.net)
Date: June 03, 2005 07:04PM

I outwrap for Lamiglas and last winter they had a problem with Gudebrod #5274 chestnut brown. The way it was explained to me was that in certain humidity conditions they tend to have fuzz problems, I don't know for sure. When they were having this problem I had five four ounce spools in a row that were fuzzy and had to be sent back to the factory.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Posted by: Tom Nair (---.ptldor.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: June 04, 2005 12:51AM

I really appreciate all your input on this topic. I new I wasn't loosing my mind. I wish flyshops carried rod building material so you could touch befor you buy. Every time I need two bucks worth of thread I spend three times that in shipping. In that way, this hobby can be frustrating at times. You know, I hope this color will be right, I hope the insert in that seat will be a good one. How big are those guides? It's the only craft I know thats all mail order. But I still get a big kick out of it. When I take a break from fishing during the day and sit down to eat lunch or smoke my pipe, I put the rod down and admire my work thinking it's the rod I wanted, its the fly I tied. It just don't get any better! Tom

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.48.7.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: June 04, 2005 07:37AM

Tom
Every time you order something -- order several more this way you cut down on the shipping and you also have a little stock. Make a list and try to get it all at one time

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster