I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

masking tape ?
Posted by: Judd Stanislawski (64.213.222.---)
Date: February 05, 2002 09:59PM

Hi I have some quick questions. What is the best masking tape to use? is there a differance as far as how well the epoxy will penetrate between differant brands? How is the professional grade painters masking tape (3M) compaired to the standard masking tape by the same mfg.
Thanks , judd

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: masking tape ?
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.153.mhub.grid.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:26PM

Judd, if you are building spacers for reel seats just use the cheapest you can find. The epoxy doesn't really penetrate it anyway, it surrounds it. Get a couple different widths, 1/2, 3/4, 1" will do most all jobs.

I use drafting tape to hold my guides on while wrapping. Not very sticky and doesn't leave a residue.

Posted by: Jeff Vadakin DBA Fish Stix (---.mob.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:42PM

Ther are tremendous differences. I use only one tape. It's not cheap, but then my labor is worth using $5/ roll tape. 3M brand, style/ "model" number 232. Thick, strong and HIGH tack.

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:44PM

Epoxy will not penetrate any type of masking tape. It will only attach itself to the outer layer. The tape has already been saturated with an adhesive.

You'll get lots of pros and cons on whether masking tape is suitable for cork arbors, but the fact is it will work fairly well, but not nearly as well as other mediums.

If you must use tape, get yourself some fiberglass drywall tape and use that. The open grid will permit some penetration of epoxy to the surface of the blank. So it will never slip on itself as can happen with the masking tape.

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 12:36AM

Dry wall tape works great for arbors, the screen type tape.. Thanks Davesrods

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 03:40AM

When I use masking tape I also make groves on all 4 sides this way you have epoxy going to the rod and it also alows the epoxy to penitrates in to the sides of the tape.
Bob

Posted by: John Broughton (---.as3.mdsn0.wi.voyager.net)
Date: February 06, 2002 07:31AM

I use automotive masking tape-it leaves no residue. You can buy
it at any parts store (Car Quest, Pep Boys, Napa, etc).

For reel seats any masking tape will work as the epoxy only covers the top of the tape.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 06, 2002 10:18AM

Judd,
3M masking tape gets my vote. #2020 in 3/4" is one recommended that has been used quite a bit and suitable for abors, not as expensive as #232 (not as thick). This is commonly available from rod parts suppliers.
Also, I don't think the deal about 'penetration' through the tape is what you're after. As arbors or shims for reel seats, make sure enough space is between to completely fill in wth past epoxy and contact with the sides of the tape and between the blank and reel seat.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster