I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip Tops for Light Fly Rods
Posted by: Russ Miller (63.192.25.---)
Date: May 21, 2004 07:46PM

I was wondering what type of tip tops everyone uses on their custom 1-3 wt rods (large loop, std loop, ceramic)?

Thanks,

Russ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip Tops for Light Fly Rods
Posted by: Eden Bromfield (---.dialup.sprint-canada.net)
Date: May 21, 2004 08:04PM

I use ceramics (silicon carbide) on all fly rods irrespective of power.
Wire rings groove sooner or later.
With ceramics you will never have to worry about replacing the tip or any other guide.
Eden

Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2004 08:25PM

Single foot guide wound on and used as tip top. This way I can get them as small as I like.

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 21, 2004 11:35PM

I have used all three. If ceramic, use the unbraced ones.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (69.26.69.---)
Date: May 22, 2004 12:06AM

If using either wire or single foot wire guides in TiCH with a standard loop matching TiCH top.
If using ceramic ring guides with zirconia ring, the matching unbraced tops.
If using SiC ceramic or alconite ring guides, then match with unbraced tops to match either the SiC or Alconite ring.
Hardalloy ring unbraced tops work fine also to match hardalloy black ceramic ring guides with either black or ticarb frames.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 22, 2004 06:39AM

Hello Rich or Don,
Could either of you recommend the manufacturer and model of the unbraced ceramic tip tops you mention? I've been using Fuji SIC's in titanium (match up well in appearance to REC Recoils), and it appears from Fuji's site that all of the SIC's are braced.

Thank you,
Jeff Shafer

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (69.26.69.---)
Date: May 22, 2004 02:37PM

Jeff,
Unbraced fly tops:
Forecast in the Zirconia ring series such as TiGold LTCLNT tops. These also come in TiCH or blue ring. Also, Forecast black ring hardalloy ceramic BLLT series.
Pacific Bay SiC ring in BMST series.
ATC (American Tackle) in BZTFT (blue ring), HZTFT (holographic ring), GZTFT (gold zirconia ring), SZTFT (silver zirconia ring), HGFT (tichrome frame/black ceramic ring), and HFBT (black/halide ceramic ring).
Hope this helps.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Adolfito Rosas (---.200-45-218.telecom.net.ar)
Date: May 22, 2004 07:13PM

What about H&H thin wire loop Tip Tops?
I think they are available in sizes 3.5 and 4, specially designed for light fly rods.

Posted by: Gerry Fairbanks (---.cv.mvl.intelos.net)
Date: May 24, 2004 03:25PM

Take a look at the RECoil tip-tops. Super light and super tough. Tip tops take more of a beating than any other guide. While I sometimes use ceramics, I don't think they are the best for light rods. (REC components is a sponsor.)

Gerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster