I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

EVA vs. Cork. Advantages and Disadvantages?
Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.tnt2.crown-point.in.da.uu.net)
Date: May 21, 2004 08:08PM

I would like to know the advantages and disadvantages using cork or EVA grips on bass rods. Can anyone give me good info on this? Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: EVA vs. Cork. Advantages and Disadvantages?
Posted by: Henry Curtis (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: May 21, 2004 08:24PM

Cork feels great! Very light. But EVA is probably a little bit tougher and longer lasting. I mean cork will last for years, but it is possible to chip and tear it up over time. I would also guess that cork costs more, even the cheaper grades.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: May 21, 2004 09:14PM

I guess both have advantages, but it might boil down to type of fishing and how well a person takes care of their equipment. Cork is more sensitive, warmer to the hand in cool or cold weather, but it does tend to get beat up if not treated well. Even rod holders can be tough on them when the rod is removed in haste or carelessly.
EVA can be colored and is much more resistant to wear and tear.

Putter

Posted by: don davis (---.dyn.grandenetworks.net)
Date: May 21, 2004 11:48PM

I have used EVA for flyrod grips. I can't imagine using cork on a spinning or casting rod. A pistol grip handle is very comfortable on a casting rod. No EVA at all. If you have to have cork, consider varnishing over it.

Posted by: John Tebbetts (---.ght.iadfw.net)
Date: May 22, 2004 08:50AM

I'm with Don on this one. Doing a lot of saltwater fishing with rods on the boat and in the water wading all day for many days in a row, I was wearing out cork grips in one tarpon season in the Keys and on the Texas coast fishing for reds and trout. Once I started using EVA, I'm hooked and now use it even on my lightest fly rods. The difference in weight is inconsequential and can help balance mid weight fly rods, the durability is excellent, and with some 200 grit, they can be made to look like new in about two minutes. Drenched with sweat and fish slime, they can be slick, but really no worse than cork IMO. Only downside is they don't look as classic on some lighter weight trout rods.

John

Posted by: Gerald McCasland (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 22, 2004 12:42PM

I have gone to almost all EVA grips on my bass and bay rods, that is with the exception of burl grips on a few rods. They are more comfortable and last longer that the so called good cork that is now available. I'm really sick of paying big bucks for cork that is basically crap. Don't get me wrong, I know the sponsors are buying the best that they can find, but lets face it there is really no good cork anymore.

Later,
Gerald Mc

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.152.54.123.Dial1.Atlanta1.Level3.net)
Date: May 22, 2004 05:38PM

If you don't expect the grips will be exposed to harsh treatment, and cost is not really an issue, then cork is tough to beat. In the event, however, that cost is an issue and you expect some manner of rough handling or accelerated wear and tear on the handle and grips, then a good firm EVA may serve you better and longer.

As far as the pre-formed cork grips, there is good stuff around, but there is some really poor stuff out there too. I would vote for firm EVA over really bad, poorly filled cork any day.

Posted by: Gerry Fairbanks (---.cv.mvl.intelos.net)
Date: May 24, 2004 03:19PM

Jim,

One quick point on the aesthetics of EVA: If you purchase the tan, grained EVA, then cut it into 1/2" pieces on a miter-box (takes just a few minutes), then glue it up as you would cork, but rotate the pieces so that the grain is broken, it looks surprisingly cork-like. This method also has the advantage of getting a complete glue joint under all the EVA. The final step is to sand the shape of the grip as you would with cork. EVA is tougher than cork, so the sanding is a little more time consuming. This has worked well enough for me so that I use it on many saltwater fly-rods now, in addition to many bass rods.

Gerry

Posted by: Ralph Jones (---.att.net)
Date: May 24, 2004 09:16PM

So far I've only made rods with cork grips. As long as I can get good or better quality cork I will continue to do so. I don't like foam grips, period. I do a few repairs with foam, it's easy to work with, but if I can manage it, I'll not build a rod with foam grips, EVA or other. Ralph

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster