I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank/thread color +
Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 01:17AM

I've taken Coach Bagby's advice and have ordered a couple Shikari blanks.

My question is, what color are the blanks? I'm trying to decide on colors, and this info might help.

Also, I read where someone mentioned using a metallic (gold?) underwrap then not using CP on the color. If I go this route, should I wrap the guides with the gold prior to the color overwrap, or would it look OK with visible feet (probably use black guides and was thinking about using a sharpie on the filed ends to replace the black if needed)?

I've ordered Tom's book, but I'm afraid I'm going to get my supplies before the book arrives, and really want to play around a little. I'm planning on experimenting on a dowel first anyway, just wanted opinions. I've ordered a few colors of Gudebrod nylon, then today I picked up several spools of Sulky at a local store. If the colors are half as intense on the rod as they are on the spool, I'll like the Sulky. Anyway, I plan to lay down all of the colors, with and without CP over metallic to see how it will look finished.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank/thread color +
Posted by: Coach Bagby (---.gnt.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:03AM

The blanks are gloss black. I use gold metallic underwraps or any color under underwraps you want. and do not use CP. I wrap my guides in the color thread that is NCP I want on the rod. Then, I apply a thin coat of finish. I let this turn and dry and wrap a second wrap on top of the first over wrap and use the same color. Then I apply another thin coat of finish and let this turn and dry and apply a second coat of finish and let this turn and dry also.
It is your choice for the visible guide feet. Good idea for the sharpie on the prepared portion of the guide feet. Use A thread as Ralph made clear to me, the more turns the stronger the wrap. I have made many a gouper and snapper rods and the guides stay on under a lot of pressure.
Also, you are smart to experiment as you indicated as to wraps with and without CP.
Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know how it turns out.
Coach

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:32AM

One of my favorite color combinations is metallic gold with metallic red trim bands (center and ends). Wrap the guides with black (regular) thread and you have a color combination has has great visual impact. These colors go particularly well with gold frame guides and Fuji seats with gold hoods.

You will find that the gold will darken a bit without CP.

Good luck.

Hugh Miller

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 10:40AM

Color selection should be based on what you desire, when considering custom if you like pink and green go for it don't let a decision be based on what others feel. I have done some color combinations I thought were terrible but the customer loved them, go with what you like you have to use them, experiment enjoy
John

Posted by: Ray Alston (63.119.95.---)
Date: February 05, 2002 11:05AM

I think the quandry most rodbuilders face is how to distinguish their rods from everyone elses. I know I'm always searching for some little idea that someone else hasn't tried. The easiest thing to distinguish yours from others is your own personal color scheme. Experiment on old blanks with different approaches, colors, trims, cp or no, etc. that will give you your own trademark so to speak. I definitely don't want someone else telling me what color to use, as it takes away from it being "my" custom rod.

Ray Alston
Goldrush Rods

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: February 05, 2002 11:35AM

Ray for your own rods that idea is fine but you should always use the customers preferences for those rods you sell and sometimes they can be fairly wild
John

Date: February 05, 2002 12:21PM

John,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. My point is that even when I was the customer, I had thought about it to the point that when I ask to have the rod built, I wanted a unique color scheme for "me" that was different from what the builder had done for someone else. As a builder, I like to experiment so that I might have some "different" offerings that might appeal to the customer, but still be something "he" wants.

Ray

Date: February 05, 2002 12:36PM

After all my rambling, its just like John said.......what makes it custom, is doing it "your way".

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 01:02PM

For many years, Buddy Owens (a close friend and very good custom rod builder) would offer each customer his own "signature wrap" and color scheme. No one else would ever get the same one. And each customer would get roughly the same colors and wrap scheme on each additional rod which, in effect, made it very much an individual custom rod. Just an idea you might consider in this area.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster