I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Can reel seats be rescued from a broken rod?
Posted by: Don Kelly (---.coatsv01.pa.comcast.net)
Date: February 04, 2002 10:15PM

I am building a 9' 8 weight and i am sure its gonna break sooner or later. Is there anyway i can salvage the reel seat? One of my friends said you can stick the butt section in boiling water and you can sometimes save the seat if you used five minute epoxy. Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Can reel seats be rescued from a broken rod?
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 10:28PM

Why are you sure it's going to break sooner or later? I've got plenty of rods in that weight range that have held up fine over the years.

If you know you are hard on your stuff and will break it, then I'd suggest not using really good hardware on the rod butt. Use the cheapest preformed grip and reel seat that you can get by with so that when it does break you aren't out much.

Yes heat can break the bond of most epoxies. But it's a lot of trouble to go to and just building a new one from scratch is quite a bit easier. That's the direction I'd go. If you know you'll break it then make it disposable to begin with.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 10:30PM

Most of the time if a rod breaks it is the tip that breaks and not the butt. If you buy the blank from a reputable manufacturer then you should be able to buy a replacment tip for the immediate future. That way you would only have to rewrap the guides over to the new tip and not have to build a new butt section.

Posted by: David Henney (---.dsl.wchtks.swbell.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 02:25AM

You can drill it out, or I use a heat gun to salvage reelseats.. You may have to refinish the wood insert.. If you use a aluimun reelseat then that will be a piece of cake to save.. Thanks Dave

Posted by: Ron Bass (---.gvsd.org)
Date: February 05, 2002 01:15PM

Cut the guy some slack, hes right everything breaks sooner or later

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: February 05, 2002 01:47PM

Actually that's not correct. I have rods that have been used and fished hard for 20 years. Yes, anybody can break a rod, but usually only abuse or hard impact will cause regular breakage of equipment. I have yet to break a rod (except for those I break on purpose to test various things for the magazine) within the realm of fishing. And I have taken some falls and hit some rods among other accidents.

One of the things a guy needs to decide when he is buying or building a rod is what is more important - great durability or high-performance. If it is the former, then drop back a bit and get a tougher, although heavier and less senstive rod. If it is the latter, then buy the best but be prepared to care for it like any high quality piece of sporting equipment deserves.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster