I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

re and re.
Posted by: Ben Piva (---.mtnk.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 07:28PM

Good evening, let me start by thanking Tom Kirkman for introducing me to this site, many of my questions have been answered thanks to many of you.
OK, lets begin. I purchased a used home made (custom) rod as a back up (broke the tip off my sage VPS 490), now I want to build my own fly rod, a Sage VPS Lite 379-3. Looking at how the custom rod was built I noticed that the spine (or spline) is off about 45 degrees to the guides and it has two strippers on it. The cork and reel seat will not do lol. The blank is a Sage graphite2 glf379rpb. Is this worth the time and trouble to redo the rod? If so what precautions should be taken? and should I try and salvage the guides and tip top?

Thank you for your replies. Benny.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: re and re.
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 08:47PM

I don't think I fully understand what you want to do. Are going to rebuild the broken rod with a new tip? Or just build your own from scratch and maybe just swap some components over?

If I was rebuilding the old rod I would leave the butt section as is even with the badly placed spine. But do spine the new tip and locate the guides where you want them. The tip creates most of this spine effect so the butt section can be off and not affect the rod too awful much.

On the new rod I'd get new components instead of swapping old stuff over. A set of guides, grip and seat don't have to run into major bucks if you select stuff carefully.

That's how I would look at the two scenarios.

Re: re and re.
Posted by: Ben Piva (---.mtnk.rnc.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 09:17PM

Thank you for your response, too much info I guess, forget the 2nd rod. Here's the condensed version:

I bought a used custom rod and discovered the guides were 45 degrees off from the spine, I'm not happy with the cork or the reel seat and it has 2 strippers. (The blank is a Sage graphite2 glf379rpb.) Is it worth the time and trouble to redo the rod? If so what precautions should be taken? and should I try and salvage the guides and tip top?

Understand now
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 09:34PM

Now I got it. It's a lot of trouble to remove and replace a handle and seat in my opinion. So, I think I would just rewrap the tip section to align the spine with how you want it. Then just fish it with the same grip and seat. Should work okay and if all you do is realign the guides without moving the spacing nothing should be hurt as far as the blank's finish goes.

Now if you really, really like this rod. Then maybe you would want to go through the process of removing the seat and grip. But for me the low price of so many good blanks right now would temp me to just do what I mentioned above on this used rod and then go out and buy a blank I really wanted and make the next one exactly as I wanted. Again this is just my personal feeling on the matter.

Re: Understand now
Posted by: Andy Snedden (---.bctel.ca)
Date: February 04, 2002 08:32AM

Ben,
Mike makes some good points regards a new blank. If you really want a new grip and seat it is really not that hard to replace them. The hardest part is often getting over the fact that you are going to take a blade to the thing. Once you make the first cut it is a pretty simple matter to remove the grip. Make sure to cut away from the blank and make shallow careful cuts. Once you have most of the cork removed a little heat (I use a heat gun) will help remove the residual bonding agent. I always remove the seat before the grip by heating it an twisting it off.

Andy Snedden

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster