I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rich Forhan Revolver rod question
Posted by: Mark Schulte (---.tnt4.valparaiso.in.da.uu.net)
Date: February 03, 2002 02:38PM

I was reviewing Rod Maker and reread Rich Forhans article on the Revolver Rod. I am wanting to build a similar rod and hoped to get answers to a few questions. I am building a heavy Muskie rod. 7' medium action. As I see the first guide placement it appears the line will rub the guide ring during normal retrieve. Am I seeing this correctly? Also, This is a heavy rod and I was considering first guide size of 20 or 16 I was going to test cast but with Rich's guide locating I think a 16 will suffice! Also, guides 2 and 3 are there any specific angles to follow or are they just a matter of smooth transition.
Any help is appreciated.
Sincerely,
Mark Schulte

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rich Forhan Revolver rod question
Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 03, 2002 08:52PM

That can be a good way to go. By offsetting the guide the way the article showed, the line will always come into the spool from the very center. Yes it will lightly rub the ring but that won't hurt anything. I have built saltwater rods this way for many years and it seems to work well.

I believe Rich uses the standard 60, 120 and 180 degree spacing on the transition guides. And that also works well.

Posted by: Rich Forhan (---.stkn.dial.netzero.com)
Date: February 04, 2002 01:02AM

Follow the article and you'll be fine. A size 16 will work -so will a size 12. Just use a smooth transition with guides 2 & 3. Re-center the line with guide 4. Six inches between each guide 1-2-3&4 works well. 14 to 16 inches from the reel will work well for guide #1.

Posted by: Elrod(Jon Jenkins (65.212.56.---)
Date: February 04, 2002 12:00PM

Rather than follow specific angles, place the tiptop and the next two guides. Thread the line and let the line determine to path of the guides. Make sure on a level wind reel you do this with the line guide in center position. Very effective, and eliminates measuring angles.
Elrod

Re: other suggestions/musky
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: February 04, 2002 03:26PM

Mark,
Depending on the guide type (is it light enough in weight?), you MAY want a 20 butt guide for this heavier musky rod as opposed to a lighter bass rod. This may depend more on the reel choice (wt., height, etc.) and the particular line transition from the reel face to your butt guide. Make this distance also a minimum of about 16" or more if possible. There may be touching at the top ring of this guide when directly coming off the reel.
If you can get away with 16 ring butt guide on this rod, so much the better, but keep in mind the purpose. You'll be casting much heavier baits and possible a different line than monofilament, so take into consideration this point for guide selection (SiC for instance) and the particular musky blank and taper. No SET rule about the distance and angles between the guides that are spiralling. I like to do it with the most direct line path between the center of the guides as much as possible. This could make them closer than you may expect, especially using a modification from the standard 60, 120, 180 transition.

For this blank, I should think you'll end out at the spiral (180 degrees) with size 8's and don't skimp with the number to the tip.
If the spiral takes 4 or 5 guides to complete getting to the 180 guides, that could be... and find it works optimally. Test casting will be the ultimate test....well, ultimate would be when you fight and land that 50 incher! The tone here is for rod stability, and optimal casting performance nowadays CAN be achieved over conventional guide placement with the spiral wrap on any sort of levelwind or non levelwind reel setup. There is really not a 'wrong' way or worrying much about the size of the first butt guides, as it is in sizing things up with a particular blank. Focus on having the best direct line path from reel to tip, and it may require more guides than initially thought.Keep smaller ones (in the case of a big musky blank, size 8 probably) at the end of the spiral out to the tip end.

Plenty of spiral rods were built with few guide abrupt with the spiral guides, but smooth line transition modifications might be more pleasing to your rod for intentions of better casting over merely using the rod for letting line down with a downrigger and trolling. Think more PURPOSE here and function. This is a musky rod, and has special considerations for power and stability. What you want to gain in casting performance may be why you'll consider direct smooth line transition.

Rich Garbowski
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: other suggestions/musky
Posted by: Dave Patterson (---.CDRP.splitrock.net)
Date: February 04, 2002 06:23PM

Elrod, I am confused, do you only end up with 2 guides and the tip @ 180* Thanks, DP

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster