I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Concept guides for a Breakaway 2pc/1pc
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 03:09PM

I cant find guide spacing/sizes for a 13' conventional rod.Tried Fuji Japan site.Is the Concept not recomended for a 13' rod?All help is appreciated.Thanks..........Kyle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Concept guides for a Breakaway 2pc/1pc
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 03:28PM

Yes, it will work on any rod. But you should not rely on spacing charts - they are not opitimized for any particular blank.

You need a working knowledge of what the system is and how it works. Then you can set up for any particular rod in just a matter of minutes.

It is not something I could fully explain in a message board post. The Fuji site has some info on it and the July/August 2000 issue of RodMaker (www.rodmakermagazine.com) has a full story on how to easily set it up for any rod.

Your reel and line path will determine the size guides you need and where they are to be located. You really can't pre-select them. In a nutshell, you want the line to travel straight from the reel spool centerline to the point where it intersects the blank and then straight on out to the tip from there.

Re: Concept guides for a Breakaway 2pc/1pc
Posted by: Tom Wolfe (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 04:24PM

Kyle,

Your looking at a ton of guides! I am familiar with the concept on some smaller versions of the Breakaways! Are you looking to go spinning or conventional??

Tom
Last Cast

It's a conventional rod
Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.rr.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 04:49PM

I'll be distance casting with an Ultra mag 3,and fishing with a couple of the Penn GS series reels.

I'm familiar with how the "concept" works and how to adjust it to fit my rod but I haven't seen it done on a long rod and they don't provide any info for the long conventional rods.I was hoping to get an idea of how many guides they recomend,but more importantly,the size of the first few guides.Thanks again.........Kyle

Re: It's a conventional rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 05:08PM

I have done some 12 footers for spinning with only 8 guides plus a top. That seemed to be about right for the particular blank I was working with. I have not set up the same blank you are working with so whether it would take more or less I really can't say.

Re: It's a conventional rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 05:14PM

Well, it'll take more than 8 for the conventional set-up. What you will want to do is figure out just how small a ring size you can go without hindering your line and/or shock leader knot (if you are using one). Use this smallest guide for the bulk of those you will put on the rod. An example might be something like -

25 - 20 - 16 - and on out with as many16's as you need to keep the line flowing along with the blank without undue contact under load. This is also assuming the 16 would be the smallest size you can effectively use to pass your shock leader knot. If you can go smaller, then you'd want to substitute the smaller size in place of all the 16's. The first guides are also an assumption and I only use them to illustrate that with the New Guide Concept you move down quickly in size rather than making use of many transition guides - they just aren't necessary and do nothing for you beyond adding weight and contributing further to the torquing effect of having your guides on top of the rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster