I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

spine and guide placement
Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 30, 2002 11:52AM

I'm making an 8' casting rod for carolina rigs and bass fishing. I'm using the concept guides and would like some input on placing the guides on the inside on the bend, outside, or 90 degrees. I have placed most of my guides on the outside of the bend in the past. I've read many post on this in the past but am still pretty confused as to the advantages of each. I don't know if you call the inside or outside of the bend the spine. Don't really care as long as I place the guides in the best place.Thanks in advance, steve

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: spine and guide placement
Posted by: John Burford (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 01:14PM

steve it really dosent matter all that much if you use the inside or outside "ie: ford or chevy type of deal" but the 90 is a bad idea because then u will have the spine on the side of the guides reather than inline with them. hope this helps and Tight wraps John T Burford aka: Tightline Rod's

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 01:46PM

The spine is the outside of the curve when the blank has been pressured into a curve of least resistance.

If you are building a casting rod with guides on top, the rod will not be stable no matter where you locate the spine. If you are building it in the spiral fashion then it will be stable regardless of where the spine is located.

I would tend to put the spine so that it affected my casting and that would mean I'd have to take a look at see how I cast. Most people who are handed a baitcasting reel/rod will almost instinctively turn their wrist so the back of their hand is pointing up - this is the only way your wrist will flex fully in an overhand cast. In that case, you might be better to locate the spine in your particular casting plane which could place your guides at 90 degress, or somewhat less, to the guide position.

Don't worry about rod twist - spine has very little to do with it. Guide position has everything to do with it.

The issue of RodMaker which is mailing on Friday has more on this idea.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 03:18PM

Tom,
I was on a match fishing web site and the page basicly said the same thing you did. I don't get it. If it really isn't important than why does everyonr make a big deal about finding the spine and wether to place the guides above it or below it? Just curious.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt1.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 03:34PM

I didn't say it wasn't important. I said I would like to have it working for me on the cast. For many, many years people have located the spine in a certain position in order to make the rod stable - to eliminate twist - and the spine will not do that. I caught a lot of flak some 15 years ago when I first tossed out the notion that it was guide location, and not spine location, that determined rod stability. Only a handful who had observed the same thing as I had supported my position. Now most do.

But again, that doesn't mean that spine is not important. In fact, it may be more important than ever now that we are freed from the idea that is has to be located in any certain position.

Personally I like to have the spine in line with my casting plane. On spinning rods that may be on the 180 degree axis. On casting it may be on the 270 degree axis, depending upon my or my customer's casting style. With the guides on the bottom of the rods, I am stable for fish fighting in either location.

Posted by: steve walters (192.132.24.---)
Date: January 30, 2002 03:58PM

If I located the guides on the casting plane, do I want the spine stiff for the cast or opposite spine for more flex on the back swing. Usually casting right handed with the reel up. Hopefully that makes sense. Thanks for the advice, steve

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 05:17PM

Steve,

One thing you have to remember is that the stiffest and softest axis' aren't likely to be opposite each other. It happens on some blanks, sometimes, but not often. Thus I'd work with the spine and forget about the stiffest axis for now.

I would try it (spine position up or down) both ways if I was you and decide for yourself which you think works better for you and your type casting. Typically I find myself positioning the spine so that it is on the bottom when I am holding the rod in the casting position. That might work for you, or you may feel the opposite position is more to your liking.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 05:32PM

I should mention that the idea of the casting and fish fighting plane being different on casting rods is something that many of us, myself include, often overlook. I was reminded of it by a letter from William (Bill?) Colby who posts here often. His letter and explanation of his system and why he uses it will be in the next RodMaker. Makes a lot of sense.

Posted by: William Colby (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 08:03PM

If I had known you were going to use that in the magazine I would have checked my grammar and spelling a bit more closely!

Posted by: steve walters (---.ev1.net)
Date: January 30, 2002 08:13PM

What is the rodcrafters journal? and where do you get it if it may help?

Posted by: Mike Ballard (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 30, 2002 09:28PM

Tom - Somewhere earlier you mentioned that you were going to discuss the 6 main causes of the spine effect. Is this going to be in the next issue of RodMaker? Should be interesting.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 31, 2002 08:49AM

William,

Yes your letter brought up something I thought was important and something many of us forget so it has been included in the issue which mails tomorrow.

MIke,

Yes, there are many things which create the spine effect. The best known is the overlap where the pattern/flag starts and stops which creates an uneven wall thickness. But it is far from being the only thing, or even the most pronounced, when creating the spine effect. You can read more on the causes of spine in the next issue.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster