I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which blank is this?
Posted by: Kelly Verge (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 04:05PM

A friend of mine just bought a rod to use when he goes bottom-fishing with me (felt guilty about using mine, I guess), and he got an Ande "Tournament Series" 7' 30-50# rod (ATC-5701H). This is a very inexpensive rod which he thought would suit his needs since he doesn't own a boat.

We went out last week, and I have to say, I really like the action on this rod - fast, so it has enough sensitivity for Snapper but has the backbone for Grouper as well. Unfortunately, the finish is already cracking at one guide and the gimbal fell off during its first day's use.

Does anyone have an idea on the blank that Ande uses for these rods? I'd like to add a few of these rods to my lineup, but need to beef them up a little more than Ande does.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which blank is this?
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 04:14PM

can't tell you what blank it is but as you indicated have repaired 5 this month including two where the blank broke about three inches below the tip
John

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 04:15PM

I really have no idea what blank you may have. Is it fiberglass?

Many of these factory rods could be so much better if they were only assembled with a bit more care. Then again, rods used in less demanding applications don't tend to fall apart even with shoddy construction and it does give us repair people something to do.

Date: January 29, 2002 04:24PM

The rod looked like it had been finished top to bottom. It felt like graphite, but I'm not sure what it is specifically.

He mentioned that they carry these rods at one of the large boating chains, so I might head down there to get a better look.

Date: January 29, 2002 04:26PM

Hmm... that doesn't sound too good. Guides/seat/gimbal I can live with, poor quality blank...

Coach Paul Bagby?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 04:29PM

I suspect that it may be any number of a myriad of inexpensive blanks made overseas. Not that's it necessarily bad, but I think you might could match it with a better quality blank if you can find some locally to flex and feel. And it still shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg.

Ask Coach Paul Bagby about some of the AMTAK blanks he is using for saltwater applications lately.

Re: Coach Paul Bagby?
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 04:39PM

Kelly believe it or not i just repaired two guides on one of them and it has not yet left the store they broke while on the rack,many better blanks are available out there
John

Re: Coach Paul Bagby?
Posted by: Coach Bagby (---.gnt.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 08:34PM

Kelly, I have made several grouper rods and snapper rods using Amtak blanks for use in this area of the Pan Handle. These are inexpensive blanks. They get used quite a bit and so far they have held up. It was my understanding from the supplier that these have a lifetime warranty. It is not to say that they may break.
I also am using another blank that I like made by Shakari. It is a glass blank with good action and have caught many a grouper with it. It is a JB7050. I get these from Richard's Rod and Reel who convinced me to try them. Shakari has come out with a G Force blank of the same design and I have ordered one. If it as good as the JB7050, it will be part of my rods for personal use and others. I just finished 2 days of grouper fishing with the Shakari and caught several gag groupers in the 12-18# range, not to mention the BIG Bull shark. The Shakari is not that more expensive than the Am Tak.
Hope this helps.
Tom is correct about other quality balnks. I also like the Lamiglas blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster