I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

WAVY FINISH
Posted by: RANDY KLEIN (64.57.233.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:55AM

I put my first coat of flex coat lite and it's wavy towards the butt end where I covered the decal. The guides look ok but where I had to cover a wide area it got a little wavy. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to even this out. I'm going to put on a second coat tonight. This is my first attempt at this. Any help is appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: WAVY FINISH
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:11AM

If it is not too bad, a second application may even things out. If it is very bad, then you need to wait until it is fully cured (give it at least a week in room temp) and then use a sanding block while the rod is spinning to level the surface.

Work with 320 grit, then move to 400 and 600 and then Scotchbrite. Clean off sanding dust between each grade of paper. Re-apply finish, this time being careful not to add too much. Also be sure to have the rod exactly level. Draw the finish out lengthwise on the long areas and you will usually get a better looking job. If it tends to sag anyway, and you are rotating it, brush off a little finish and check it again.

Posted by: Randy Gerrick (---.rasserver.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:37AM

I had the same problem my first time because I was using my power wrapper and the motor wouldn't spin at a constant speed. I went out and bought a drying motor and since then I've had glass like finishes on my butt wraps and guides. While removing the flex coat that was sagging like mentioned above. Hope this helps.

Posted by: William Vivona (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:56AM

See post below - Epoxy Application 1001.

Posted by: Dick Thurston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 10:46PM

Flex Coat needs to catalylize (set) for about 5 minutes before applying. This is especially important on longer finishes such as butt wraps & inscriptions or logos. If you don't allow the catalyzation process to complete, it will complete anyway but while on your blank and not all of it at the same rate. This can cause a lumpy appearance in a finish that started out smooth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster