I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bamboo Book Recommendation
Posted by: Charles DeGroot (---.trailnet.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:03AM

To all of you bamboo builders:

If you had to recommend only two titles to someone wanting to learn about beginning bamboo rod making, which would they be?

Thanks much in advance,

Dry crotches,
Charles

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bamboo Book Recommendation
Posted by: Clyde Dent (162.39.169.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 09:34AM

(1) The Lovely Reed by Jack Howell
(2) Handcrafting Bamboo Fly Rods by Wayne Cattanach
(3) Fundamentals of Building A Bamboo Fly Rod by George Maurer and Bernard Elser

I already own the first two books, and the third is on my to-buy list. I'm new at bamboo fly rod building, and The Lovely Reed has proven to be most helpful to me so far.

Clyde

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: January 29, 2002 10:12AM

I vote for the third. Great book.

And then there's the entire series on bamboo rod building in the past year and a half in RodMaker (although that would end up costing you more than the book!)

Posted by: Harry Boyd (---.3g.quik.com)
Date: January 29, 2002 11:01AM

Tom,

Funny, I'd vote for the first two, in the reverse order that Clyde lists them. In my opinion, Wayne's book is the best straight through presentation of how to build a rod. (Just the right balance between how and why.) Howell's book, while more interesting reading, is nearly as good, but get's a little technical in a place or two such as choosing a taper. (too much why) I think George and Bernie left too much of the basic stuff out, and added advanced stuff like powered bevelers, that only confuses the beginner. (Not enough why)

All that said, the fourth or fifth book you read, after having completed a few rods, is Everett Garrison - Hoagy Carmichael. I absolutely love that book. Even though many of the methods it shows are the hardest way to do things, there is a rationale behind them all. Many have vilified Garrison's math lately, but that doesn't make it any less valuable in my mind. But again, only after one has built a few rods.

Just my opinions,

Harry

Posted by: Aaron Dimig (63.99.27.---)
Date: January 29, 2002 11:31AM

I've read the Lovely Reed and Handcrafting Bamboo Flyrod and another book by Barnes (1977). I'm just starting my first rod, so I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I skimmed through Garrison/Carmichael. I got them all at the library, and had them order the books not already on the shelf.

The Garrison and Barnes books have been returned to the library. Barnes was too basic, yet a quick read, and Garrison was too complicated for starting out. I still renew the Lovely Reed and Handcrafting BF's. I've been referring more to Handcrafting, but any book is not nearly as good as seeing it and doing it. So I canvased the country looking for the video version of Handcrafting. It was very hard to find, but Cabela's East Fork (call the store direct) store finally had one ($35 before shipping - I believe others charge $50). It's extremely slow and very boring, but in conjunction w/ the books, a lot of my questions are being answered. It's a real home-video-produced sleeper, but I'm looking for instruction, not an oscar performance, and that's what I'm getting. In short, I would recommend the Lovely Reed and Handcrafting BF from the library and get the video to boot.

Posted by: Frank Rodriguez (---.dsl.mindspring.com)
Date: January 31, 2002 12:05AM

Wow that is very hard to do considering all these books I have gone back to at one time or another. I also agree with the video. I am one who does learn by seeing . For some reason it just stays in my mind longer. One book in my opinion has tools that are what seems to me easier to find. That book is Handcrafting Bamboo Fly Rods. His video follows the book pretty well.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster